Purchase in Barrells, sell in litres, setup

cvealecveale Member Posts: 135
Hello everyone, I have a question about purchasing in one quantity, but I need to sell in a different quatity.

example. I buy my fluid in a 189 litre barrell. But I then take the fluid and put it into .5 litre, 1 litre, and 4 litre bottles and sell it. Also, when I sell it, if you buy the 4 litre bottle, your price will be cheaper than if you buy the .5 or the 1 litre bottle.

What is the best way to achieve this? I was thinking of making an item card called fluid with a base unit of measure of 'litre'. I would have purchase unit of measure be 'barrell' (which equal 189 litres), Would I also set up '.5 litre', and '4 litre' as units of measure, and use those when I sell ? What about the lower pricing for the '4 litre' sale ?

How would I do this ?

Is there another way to do this, say with Kit BOMS ?

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I think that way sounds just fine. As for special pricing, have a look at Sales Prices from the Item Card. Should be on the Sales button if I remember correctly.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    UoM Setup seems to be just right. In the sales prices you can set up prices per UoM so this will solve your problem with prices.

About BOMs: Do you preproduce bottles on .5, 1 and 4 litres or do you store it in the Whse in Barrels and someone just fills an empty bottle at the time of shipping? Also: Is the bottle an item with inventory?

If the bottle is an item and you preproduce these filled bottles use BOMs. Setup the BOM as 1 pce of bottle + 4 litres of your fluid. If both answers are no then you might just go for the single item.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    As mattrax said,

Under sales prices you have unit of measure, so you would created 4 lines for your sales prices or 1 per unit of measure for sales qty.
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    I would make the base unit of measure the smallest unit you use, so in this case .5 liter
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    themave wrote:
    I would make the base unit of measure the smallest unit you use, so in this case .5 liter
    How about in deciliters :mrgreen:
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Savatage wrote:
    themave wrote:
    How about in deciliters :mrgreen:
    reason for the smallest unit of measure as the base is because of rounding issues I was always told. We carry cable, bought in a spool of 1000 feet, sold by the foot normally, we at first set it up in the as foot as the base, but sometimes we sell it by the inch. so when we had to take 1/12th on unit, the rounding worked against us. there is no easy answer, but when the base is the smallest measurement you use, then everything else is a multiple of that, which takes the rounding out of the equation, (or at least makes it in your favor generally)
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I'm not questioning that logic - our base uom is "each" for everything.
    Does make life a lot easier!
  • kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    themave wrote:
    sold by the foot normally, we at first set it up in the as foot as the base, but sometimes we sell it by the inch. so when we had to take 1/12th on unit, the rounding worked against us.

You can define sales prices for each UoM. When selling by the inch. you can let NAV do the calculation based on the base UoM price. This way sometimes the rounding will work against you and sometimes against the customer.
    Or you can also set a sales prices for the inch. and do the best rounding for yor requirements.

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.