Options

Access Two Database with Single Licence

syedamirsyedamir Member Posts: 68
Dear All,

Is it Legal/Permissible to access more than one Database with (Client's) Single Licence??

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Syed Hasnain Amir

Comments

  • Options
    rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    If it's not a "per database" licence then it sure is.
  • Options
    syedamirsyedamir Member Posts: 68
    How can we check in the Licence that it is a "per database" or not??

    Regards,
    Syed Hasnain Amir
  • Options
    rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    In NAV Tools->License information

    or ask your NAV Partner.
  • Options
    syedamirsyedamir Member Posts: 68
    In the Licence File, which Granule ID is of "per database" or Where in Licence "per database" information is present??

    Regards,
    Syed Hasnain Amir
  • Options
    dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    In the license information list the Per-Database license, if you have it, looks like this:

    2,020 Per Database license 1
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    No this is not permissible. 1 license = 1 database. The "per database" granule is to allow you run run multiple databases (with their own licenses) in a single SQL instance. Its primary purpose is for ASP (hosting) operations.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    bbrown is correct. 1 database, 1 license. It is spelled out pretty clearly in the terms of service and contracts from Microsoft.
  • Options
    ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    matttrax wrote:
    bbrown is correct. 1 database, 1 license. It is spelled out pretty clearly in the terms of service and contracts from Microsoft.

    Well we do have volume licensing model which allows multiple databases with single license.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    ssingla wrote:
    matttrax wrote:
    bbrown is correct. 1 database, 1 license. It is spelled out pretty clearly in the terms of service and contracts from Microsoft.

    Well we do have volume licensing model which allows multiple databases with single license.

    Yes, but that would be explicitly spelled out in your license agreement and you also paid a higher fee.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    rhpntrhpnt Member Posts: 688
    bbrown wrote:
    No this is not permissible. 1 license = 1 database. The "per database" granule is to allow you run run multiple databases (with their own licenses) in a single SQL instance. Its primary purpose is for ASP (hosting) operations.
    matttrax wrote:
    bbrown is correct. 1 database, 1 license. It is spelled out pretty clearly in the terms of service and contracts from Microsoft.

    I think you're both wrong.
    Official MS Pricelist explanation for granule 2020:
    The Per Database License granule allows you to run several databases on the same instance of SQL Server. Each database uses its own license file. In order to have more than one database using different license files, those license files must contain this Per Database Granule. Without this granule, all databases on the server that do not use their own license files, use one common license file.

    What I know about Dynamics licensing is that you are buying user not database sessions. A license imported on a SQL server without the 2020 granule simply sums all sessions from all running NAV databases. So there can't be a breach of license terms.
  • Options
    colingbradleycolingbradley Member Posts: 162
    What about a development & testing database?
    The database is not being used commercially.
    Can you get permission from MS to use the licence in this way?
    You would need to have a different instance of the SQL server and that would allow testing without causing a problem for the users of the live database.
    Experience is what you get when you hoped to get money
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    rhpnt wrote:
    What I know about Dynamics licensing is that you are buying user not database sessions. A license imported on a SQL server without the 2020 granule simply sums all sessions from all running NAV databases. So there can't be a breach of license terms.

    Not true at all. Well the part about summing the users is. You are not just buying users, though. You also buy objects. You could then have totally different customizations on each database. That would definitely be against the licensing terms. I know it is in the EULA somewhere.
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    What about a development & testing database?
    The database is not being used commercially.

    You can have unlimited development / testing / non-production databases on the same license as production. If they are on the same SQL instance, though, they will as described before, sum up all of the sessions across all databases.
Sign In or Register to comment.