Options

Database Date Update Issue

roshandilrukroshandilruk Member Posts: 51
edited 2010-09-01 in Navision Attain
Hello pals,

I’ve got an issue which I hope to get few advises from you guys.

My Database size is 85 GB and a Nav proprietor Database. When the users do changes in the database at any stage, then if I look at the Folder Path where the Database is placed (in hard drive / Windows Explorer), then I see the “Date Modified” column with the respective modified date.

Since few days I did notice, no matter what changes you do, the “Date Modified” filed in the Windows Explorer is not getting updated. However if I re-start the Database Services, then the “Date Modified” is updating accordingly.

I wouldn’t know whether this has to do something with Object Cache or DMBS Cache ?

Please do let me know how would I get this sorted?

Thanks

Answers

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    It is a Windows 'problem'.

Windows doesn't update the last modified date of a file UNTIL you close the file.
    So when NAV is active, the DB service has the files open and Windows doesn't update the last modified date.
    If you stop the service, the DB service closes the file and Windows will update the last modified date.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    You are absolutely correct. But the problem is when I close the Nav (At the end of the day after all work) and no body is connected then it supposed to update the time stamp and update "Date Modified". But since last few weeks, the only way it does the time stamp is at the reboot of the services.

This is what bothers me.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    HOw are you verifing that nobody is connected?
  • Options
    Because I disconnect all the users.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I'm not sure that I understand what the "problem" is. Can you explain what is wrong with this?
  • Options
    Hi Denster, Let me explain.

For an example, if I work on the database on the 1st of August and finish off for the day. Then all the users are disconnected from the database. When the last connection (client) to the database is over, the time stamp supposed to update the “Date Modified” column with 01/08/2010 in the hard disk where the database is placed (Basically the database path). But in my database this does not happen.

Then, if I restart the Services at the end of the day, then my “Date Modified” is updated as 31/08/2010. Then I work in the database everyday for next two weeks with loads of changes in Items, Prices etc,. So if I look at the “Date Modified” on the 14th of August which is the last connection to the database, still the “Date Modified” is shown as 31/08/2010. If I restart the Services on the 14th or later day, then only the “Date Modified” is updated with 14/08/2010.

Hope I made it clear.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Well you have explained an observation, but I still don't understand what the problem is with that observation.

Are you having issues with data integrity? Do you have consistency errors? Any users that can't connect? What's the problem?

Besides:
    When the last connection (client) to the database is over, the time stamp supposed to update the “Date Modified” column with 01/08/2010 in the hard disk where the database is placed (Basically the database path).
    Where does it say that that is what is 'supposed' to happen?
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Why do you care if the date gets updated? Are you using that date to perform backups or something?
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You have to stop the service in order for the date stamp to be updated.

The service keeps the database "in use".
  • Options
    I understand you concerns, the only bit I'm worried about in time stamp not getting updated is, whether the Data is committed in the database. I'm sure the all the data is written in, but would there be any chance to lose them if the time stamp is not getting updated?
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    I understand you concerns, the only bit I'm worried about in time stamp not getting updated is, whether the Data is committed in the database. I'm sure the all the data is written in, but would there be any chance to lose them if the time stamp is not getting updated?
    No problem at all. Like I explained. The time stamp thing is a Windows thing, not a NAV DB thing.

You can see if all the data is committed in virtual table "Database File". If the field "Writes in Queue" (or something like this) is 0, all data has been committed.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Hi Kirki,

now I totally understand. As you have said,I did few checks on the virtual table. When I do some change I could see the number of records inserted, changes or deleted in the virtual table. Then I closed the database and then reopened and checked the table, the particular fileds are with zero valuses, which confirms they have been committed.

Thanks very much for understanding and helping me.

Thanks everyone who spend your valuable time on this issue. Thanks again and I close the issue now.

Cheers!!!