Job Queue cannot see report

gemini_shootergemini_shooter Member Posts: 149
Hello All,

This might be something very trivial but I cannot see the reports that are run by Job Queue.

--So I have setup NAV 5.0 SP1 and SQL 2008 on my windows 7 machine.
--NAS is installed and running successfully and uses the Network Services Account. This account has full access as sysadmin in SQL and NAV.

-- windows account User1: This is what I use to login into NAV, also a sysadmin in SQL and superuser in nav

-- Setup job queue and have setup job queue Entries to run some reports:
-- Top Ten Customer
-- Customer Listing

These reports are running successfully as I can see the entries in Job Queue Log entries, but I have some questions:

1. Do I need to have atleast NAV session open for this to work?
2. Do I need to have the job queue Processes form open at all times for this to work?
3. I cannot see the reports that are being run, where are they going or are they being dumped somewhere else, I am confused with that part?
4. How can I run a report with a filter/option:
4a. For e.g. on the top ten customer report, there is checkbox to export to excel, how can I define that on the job in the parameter field?
4b. On the customer list report, I want run the report for only one posting group and sort by zip code, how can I define that in the parameter field?

Any help would be really appreciated....

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    1. Do I need to have atleast NAV session open for this to work?
    Shouldn't have to. That's the whole purpose of a NAS.

2. Do I need to have the job queue Processes form open at all times for this to work?
    Shouldn't have any form open as NAS does not have a graphical interface

3. I cannot see the reports that are being run, where are they going or are they being dumped somewhere else, I am confused with that part?
    Where are you expecting them to go? A printer?

4a. For e.g. on the top ten customer report, there is checkbox to export to excel, how can I define that on the job in the parameter field?

You have to write a function in the report to set your parameters like Export to Excel.

4b. On the customer list report, I want run the report for only one posting group and sort by zip code, how can I define that in the parameter field?
    You need to look at the SETTABLEVIEW function for report variables.
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    You should change the Network services account against a "real" AD user.

In the end the NAS is just a client without a GUI. When NAS runs a report then actually the specified user from the service runs it as if he had started a nornmal client. So to check where your prints are going log on to that machine with that user, start a client, start the report and see which printer comes up.

You will need to install the necessary printers under the used NAS user.

To answer your questions:
    1. No
    2. No
    3. As described above
    4. Several options: By default nothing exists. You could
    - Create a report which runs your report and places the necessary filters/settings
    - Create a more sophisticated system where you can set up which filters the reports should automatically use when run from the NAS (GUIALLOWED = No).
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • gemini_shootergemini_shooter Member Posts: 149
    No, but how can I view the result of the report?.. I think I am confused with this concept, the report runs but where is the result stored or available for viewing to other users?
    You have to write a function in the report to set your parameters like Export to Excel.
    The report already has the checkbox... can I not set it true from the parameter field on the job queue card... if not then what is the best possible way to handle this?
    You need to look at the SETTABLEVIEW function for report variables.
    hmmmm.... does that mean I have program a copy of the existing new report with the settableview... if not where how can I use the parameter field if possible on the job queue card
    No, but how can I view the result of the report?.. I think I am confused with this concept, the report runs but where is the result stored or available for viewing to other users?
    Look at the NAS as if it is a simple NAV client. When you run a simple report it is being printed. The Network service account has no printers setup so this is not possible. If you want to change filters, to set flags (export to excel) or to store the output somewhere you need to create a covering report which does all that with your to-be-printed-report.
    The report already has the checkbox... can I not set it true from the parameter field on the job queue card... if not then what is the best possible way to handle this?
    Either create a report which sets filters, flags and then runs your report or create a function in the report itself which does all that based on Not GUIALLOWED
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • gemini_shootergemini_shooter Member Posts: 149
    Thanks it works now. Changing the NAS account to a windows account did the job.

I see it is printing to the default printer. Is it possible to print to PDF automaticvally?

I tired like cute PDF write but it didn't work.. any suggestion for PDF printers that work

Thanks once again
  • vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,139
    Please use the Printer Selections form to select the printer. You might want to specify the NAS user, so you do noch change selections for other users. Make sure though, the cute PDF printer driver is configured to save the report automatically. There is no one that can tell it where to save when it is run.
    I always used Ghostscript together with FreePDF. You might want to take a look at Bullzip though. It is free and fully programmable. Just search the forum for Bullzip or look here: http://mibuso.com/blogs/ara3n/2008/08/01/save-nav-reports-to-pdf/
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting