Options

MonthCalendar Add-in

Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
edited 2010-08-27 in NAV Three Tier
Greetings -

I posted on this topic previously, but wanted to approach it a bit differently this time. I'm wondering if anyone has written a NAV RTC add-in wrapper for the MonthCalendar control. What I'm getting at here is that we could write our own wrapper, but why reinvent the wheel. If .NET controls could simply be used on NAV pages (I know the RTC can't handle that at this time with its limitations around subscribing to events) then NAV partners would just be using the control as needed. As it stands right now, I expect a number of NAV partners are each writing their own wrappers for the same .NET components, exposing different events and properties as needed. It seems like there could be a lot of redundancy and wasted effort out there, which isn't great for anyone. Sorry...didn't mean to get preachy or philosophical. :)

Anyway, I'm simply asking if anyone has written a MonthCalendar add-in or knows of a product for this so we can explore better options to implement it than having to develop it (again) ourselves.

Comments

• Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    When you say monthCalendar add-in are you referring to something like this:
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1009
  • Options
    Not quite. I need to create a page that ALWAYS has a small MonthCalendar control in the top left, with the ability to change the colour of dates (to highlight non-work days, etc.). If the user clicks a date on the calendar, I need it to feed back the date that was clicked to NAV so it can update other information on the page.

It's not a pop-up datepicker I need (the RTC already has that for any date field).
  • Options
    Christian_AbelnChristian_Abeln Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 42
    Have you considered writing a Control Add-in for the RoleTailored client, which hosts the 'MonthCalendar' control in a page of your choice?

You are of course are little limited in page design in RTC (control MUST BE top-left), but you can for sure have the OnControlAddIn trigger fired when the user selects a date.

I regards to a shared approach:
    A basic control add-in for a calendar control would be extremely simple and really only be a couple of lines of code.
    If one yet has special requirements in regrards to date rendering and user interaction, then the control might get pretty soon complex. But with those requirements it would also not be very reusable by others.
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Christian Abeln
    Program Manager Microsoft
    Dynamics NAV

blogs.msdn.com/cabeln/
  • Options
    mihail_kolevmihail_kolev Member Posts: 379
    In your old post ( viewtopic.php?f=32&t=42387 )you have enough hints.
    -Mihail- [MCTS]
  • Options
    I'm just trying to avoid writing the add-in due to time constraints. If need be, we'll do it. Like i said, it just seems like a lot of redundant effort if anyone else has already done this. I wanted to check in case.