Nassql.exe version in 4 Sp3

SteveKnottSteveKnott Member Posts: 49
Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I am having.

I have a client running NAV 4Sp3 build 4.0.3.23305.

I have 6 Navision application servers on a Windows Server 2003 , and they are doing various tasks within the system.

They were all installed from the the command line with

nassql.exe appservername=WHSPOST, installasservice

Every now and then 1 of them stops responding, and when trying to stop and start the service, windows installer pops up and starts installing something, which never ends, and hangs the service starting. I normally have to reboot the box to get it stop stop installing. The windows installer never shows what it is trying to install. It's also always the same one that stops responding.

I then uninstall the service and re-install, and everything is back to normal for a while, until it starts happening again.

I have uninstalled and re-installed all NAV components from the server, and re-installed all app servers.

One funny thing I noticed is the following:

All of the app servers have the following version in the registry or the app server manager : Version (04,00,04,00),
except the one that gives these issues.

The one that causes issues gives a version of Version W1 4 SP2 (04,00,04,00)

If I uninstall the service, and install it fresh, it gets the original version number as the others, but the minute it starts it changes it's version number.

I have tried installing them all from the same nassql.exe or from different folder per app server, with no difference.

I am looking for any ideas on what could cause this, or what I can try.

What I want to do is try a later build of nassql.exe , but don't want to "upgrade" the database so I have to roll out a new client build, as this is not possible in the immediate future.

Any idea's how I tell where the database version number changes in the list of Hotfixes ?

I am looking in these 2 lists...
http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/arc ... 9-sp1.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/german_nav_deve ... ack-3.aspx

When this one app server is installed, its version number in the registry or Application server manager changes

Comments

• einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Strange... I would go for the newest Build No. anyway.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    How do you install NAS services? Via the windows installer or using the DOS command prompt.

If you run the DOS command prompt you can use different versions. But I would never to that.

If you want to keep running 4SP3 I would upgrade to the latest binaries but it's better to upgrade the binaries to 5SP1 or 2009.

If you decide to implement the latter, make sure to text the performance impact of v-sift in your system.