NAV databases on SQL Server - Virtualization

clairvoyantclairvoyant Member Posts: 11
Hi all,

Is there someone who is using Microsoft Hyper-V technology for virtualization of SQL Server machines which is using for NAV databases ?
If so, what is the performance issues that you face and how many VMs are you hosting on a host machines ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    There are more and more installations on Hyper-V running smoothly.

The issues you may run into are the same as when using physical hardware or VM-ware, just make sure you have enough HW resouces, virtual or physical.

There is no way to advice on how many VM's you can run on one box, it depends on the box and on what you do with all the VM's.
  • clairvoyantclairvoyant Member Posts: 11
    Yes Mark, I'm aware of that this number of VM depends on the HW resources.

The databases, they will relatively small, less than 100 transactions/sec, a couple of users per database. I need to run them because of non-Unicode issue of NAV application. We planned to install separate machines for double-byte support. Seems we will move existing system to virtual environment too.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Moving virtual machines is easy enough. I would put as many as you can on a machine, test, measure, change, test and measure again.