License + Session calculation

superjetsuperjet Member Posts: 40
Hello experts!

I am confused about how session limit is calculated when there are two different licenses used by NAV clients on same NAV Database server instance.

Our situation:
Customer license - 3 session limit
Developer license - 1000+ session limit

On a Database server for 2 months there was uploaded a customer license with 3 session limit.
All this time we have worked parallel with customer users, having active 5 sessions in total:
(3 sessions = customer, 2 sessions = we (NAV partner), under developer license, having go-live process).

Today, after unexpected restart, the system is calculating our developer license session under customer licensed session limit = 3 users.
So, we can't work anymore as we did before for 1 month (but we had many many server restarts during this period).

I have reimported customer license, restarted database server service, deleted zup files on server, and on client side. The problem still exists. ](*,)

We have had some storm last night, and it's possible that 1 RAM in server is corrupted.
Now we have this warning for NAV Database Server service in event log:
The description for Event ID 20010 from source  ABC cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Of course i will try to reinstall the database server service, but the question is, how are session limit calculated, if :
1. in Database server folder is setuped a Customer license,
2. i use Developer license from NAV client
3. but now system says there is no free session available. please wait when someone quits navision, as if it watches max session limit in customer license.

??

Comments

• kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    Users using the customer license must log in first.
    After the 3 users are logged you can log in with your developer license.

You are not developing on a production database, aren't you?

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.
  • superjetsuperjet Member Posts: 40
    kitik wrote:
    Users using the customer license must log in first.
    After the 3 users are logged you can log in with your developer license.
    Ok, thanks for the reply, i will try to do it in this order.

No, we are not developing on a production database :)
    We used the developer license to update the objects several times per day, without disturbing customer users to free a slot for us.
    I have reinstalled Database Server service, but this didn't help.
    Also kitik's variant did not help.

That means you inherit Max session rules, from license, that use Database server?
    Did someone else worked parallel under developer license, when customer license had reached max session limit?
    I did it many times the way I told you.
    Are you sure that you are using the developers license to log in?

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Laura Nicolàs
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.
    I also have used dev. license in that way for 1 month, before this day..
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    superjet wrote:
    Hello experts!

I am confused about how session limit is calculated when there are two different licenses used by NAV clients on same NAV Database server instance.

Our situation:
    Customer license - 3 session limit
    Developer license - 1000+ session limit
    1000? No, it is 1000 NAS sessions and in most cases few user sessions (like 20). Development license do not have 1000 user sessions... ;-)

On a Database server for 2 months there was uploaded a customer license with 3 session limit.
    All this time we have worked parallel with customer users, having active 5 sessions in total:
    (3 sessions = customer, 2 sessions = we (NAV partner), under developer license, having go-live process).

Today, after unexpected restart, the system is calculating our developer license session under customer licensed session limit = 3 users.
    So, we can't work anymore as we did before for 1 month (but we had many many server restarts during this period).
    System doesn't know which session is "customer" and which is "NAV Partner". If you want to be outside the limit, use the "Change" button on the license info form and then connect to the server.
    I have reimported customer license, restarted database server service, deleted zup files on server, and on client side. The problem still exists. ](*,)
    Reimported? License to the NAV DB server cannot be imported from clien. The button IMPORT save the license into the client folder, not into the server folder. You need to place the license as fin.flf into the server folder manually.
    We have had some storm last night, and it's possible that 1 RAM in server is corrupted.
    Now we have this warning for NAV Database Server service in event log:
    The description for Event ID 20010 from source  ABC cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Of course i will try to reinstall the database server service, but the question is, how are session limit calculated, if :
    1. in Database server folder is setuped a Customer license,
    2. i use Developer license from NAV client
    3. but now system says there is no free session available. please wait when someone quits navision, as if it watches max session limit in customer license.

??
    The event log text you posted is standard text. See my blog article http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/kine/arch ... /6415.aspx. It is nothing to worry about. Main info from the message is at the end of the text...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    System doesn't know which session is "customer" and which is "NAV Partner". If you want to be outside the limit, use the "Change" button on the license info form and then connect to the server.

This does not help (but it worked before, as you have described).
    If there is already 3 sessions on a Database server,
    [Change license --> developer license --> connect to Database server] doesn't give me an extra session slot, as it did before. It still looks on a session limit, defined in a customer license.
    superjet wrote:
    This does not help (but it worked before, as you have described).

So the question is... When did it change?

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs