Consumption of stock before its available...again...

@simon@simon Member Posts: 17
We have a situation where the client needs to post negative consumption.

Now...we dont want to do this, I know the consequence, they understand the consequence but their existing system allows this (in a round about way) and the fasting moving nature of their stock along with their business processes demand this. And YES, I have read all the postings on this elsewhere.

They have situations where they will have a production order that is being built and shipped the same day stock is coming in which is a component of the assembly. Physically, they will use the stock the second it comes through the door in order to meet a deadline of getting the stock despatched out that day.

From a system perspective, they may not book the stock in until after it has been shipped...but ALWAYS on the same day. We have pushed and pushed to get this updated but their point is, the pr

Their existing system has an asynchronous, server side back-flushing system i.e. it back-flushes all orders that need doing so every 5 minutes while allowing the production order to be completed and the output generated, from the users perspective.

Has anyone ever encountered this before and if so how did they handle it?

In a standard cost environment, if we enforce the requirement that stock received that day must be posted for that day, what are the consequences of allow negative consumption...

Comments

• SD-JRSD-JR Member Posts: 94
    In a standard cost environment there are less pitfalls to allowing the stock run negative.

The only extra I would recommend if you allow the qty run negative is to if user tries to modify an item standard cost then test the stock level and do not allow STD cost change while stock is negative (otherwise you will be left with unexplainable differences)
    Regards,

Ger
    Simply Dynamics Ltd
    Web: www.simplydynamics.ie
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Standard AX actually allows negative processing (even with serial/batch controlled items). Where a business is sales focused as silly as it sounds the booking in of the stock "prior" to shipment can get in the way and make processing difficult. If you modify it, and many others have, all you need to do is ensure that the costing processes work and you have a process in place to capture residual negative stock at the end of the day/week/month etc.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen