Options

NAVISION Ugrade 3.70 to 4.0

hefty79hefty79 Member Posts: 21
Hi,
does anybody know if the upgrade quick quide navision 3.70 is correct?

I tried to upgrade my navision 3.70 to 4.0.
what i did:
- preparing for data conversion
- upgrade sql-database
- create new database, restore old database
- import the upgrade370400.1.fob

the quick quide says i should delete objects. later i should import the new costumized objects which were created in the compare and merge process.

but i didn´t do a compare and merge process because the manual says chapter 4 (which include the update and merge process) is for updating from prior versions then 3.70.

besides i don´t have any costumized objects.

can anybody please tell me what i did wrong?

i tried to went on with step 2, but i don´t have form 5236 to set up human resource units of measure. form 5236 is a navision 4.0 form.

i would appreciate all tips to that topic you can give me.
thank you so far...

michael

Comments

• Options
    2tje2tje Member Posts: 80
    Can you tellme where you found the upgrade info. In prior version there was a directory named 'Upgtk' on every installation cd. The 'official' cd we got from our distributor doesn't have one any more in version 4.
  • Options
    2tje wrote:
    Can you tellme where you found the upgrade info. In prior version there was a directory named 'Upgtk' on every installation cd. The 'official' cd we got from our distributor doesn't have one any more in version 4.

your distributer must be able to download the 4.0 upgtk files from https://www.partnerquide.com
  • Options
    NickANickA Member Posts: 32
    I haven't had to upgrade to a V4 yet, but working purely from past (painful) experiences with the toolkit: You still need a set of base objects to import, even if that's just a clean V4 set with no modifications.

And you shouldn't delete all objects, just everything except the tables.

It should go something like this:
    1) Create a .fob of V4 base objects by using a clean V4 Navision install. If your system is customised apply the customisations before creating the .fob.
    2) Import step1.fob appropriate to the version you are upgrading from/to.
    3) Run the step1 codeunit.
    4) Delete all objects except the tables.
    5) Import the base objects .fob from step #1.
    6) Import step2.fob.
    7) Run the step2 codeunit.

Don't forget the backup, and remember to compile the objects after import.

The upgrade codeunits are there to upgrade data in tables where the table structure has changed significantly between versions. 'Step1' copies the data away temporarily to intermediate tables. 'Step2' copies the data back into the new table structure.
  • Options
    thanks for your answer.

that exactly the way I made it meanwhile. and you´re right, it works (almost, there are still some problems with sql-access for users who don´t have dbo-rights - but I work on this).

greats
    michael