Item Tracing

shillushillu Member Posts: 72
Hi All,

I am using 4.0SP3 database. One of my clients requested for item tracing functionality which is availabe in NAV 5.0 and 2009 versions. So I am trying to copy the same functionality manually in 4.0 SP3 database.

So to test the functionaliy in 2009, I have run "Item Tracing" form. It is allowing to select item no in Item Filter. but when I was trying to select Lot No.Filter, the form is empty. So I have created a new item with lotno tracking and created purchase order and sales order with that item.

I am able to trace those details in item tracing form but still whn i click on LotNofilter, for that item.. Lot information is not avaiable.

Can anyone pls let me know ..whn and how does the lot information will be updated in Lot No.Information table.

Thanks,

Comments

• navuser1navuser1 Member Posts: 1,329
    shillu wrote:
    Hi All,

I am using 4.0SP3 database. One of my clients requested for item tracing functionality which is availabe in NAV 5.0 and 2009 versions. So I am trying to copy the same functionality manually in 4.0 SP3 database.

So to test the functionaliy in 2009, I have run "Item Tracing" form. It is allowing to select item no in Item Filter. but when I was trying to select Lot No.Filter, the form is empty. So I have created a new item with lotno tracking and created purchase order and sales order with that item.

I am able to trace those details in item tracing form but still whn i click on LotNofilter, for that item.. Lot information is not avaiable.

Can anyone pls let me know ..whn and how does the lot information will be updated in Lot No.Information table.
    Thanks,

Dear,

Item Tracking is available in Nav 4.0. :mrgreen:
    Now or Never
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    navuser1 wrote:
    shillu wrote:
    Hi All,

Thanks,

Dear,

Item Tracking is available in Nav 4.0. :mrgreen:

That's not true. This thread is about the form which will show you the whole chain from purchase to sales or opposite. But this is available only in NAV 5 and more. But it could be downgraded. But main problem is that the form use the SourceTableTemporary property to show the data. This must be changed for NAV 4, because there is no such a property, thus the form triggers and appropriate code must be used. And in the functionality, some tables which are not existing in NAV 4 are used to, but only for minor functionality. This could be skipped.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • shillushillu Member Posts: 72
    Yes. I am talking about Item Tracing ..not Item Tracking. Which is available from NAV 5 and later versions.

Kamil,

I didnt get u clearly..As of now..i am testing in NAV2009SP1..there also i am not able to find the data in "Lot No.Information" table. Could you please tell me how does the table gets updated? As it is not non editable form, i can not enter the data in it.

Thanks,
    Ah, ok, I thought that you have problems that the table in the tracing is empty. The Lot No. Information or Serial No. Information is not populated automatically. All depends on the settings of trcking code. If this info is mandatory, user must create the info when receiving the lot/serial no. in the tracking form (buttons on the form where you are selecting lot and SN for e.g. purchase order). Or there must be customization creating these records automatically based on some data. It is just info, it is not needed for the tracking and tracing to be usable.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    Ah, ok, I thought that you have problems that the table in the tracing is empty. The Lot No. Information or Serial No. Information is not populated automatically. All depends on the settings of trcking code. If this info is mandatory, user must create the info when receiving the lot/serial no. in the tracking form (buttons on the form where you are selecting lot and SN for e.g. purchase order). Or there must be customization creating these records automatically based on some data. It is just info, it is not needed for the tracking and tracing to be usable.

Hmn...I think my question is not clear to you. Let me take an example:
    I have an item 'Item001' with Lot Tracking is yes. and now I have created a Purchase Order of 50 Qty with 'LOT001' as item tracking code in the PO lines. and I have created a Sales Order of 25 Qty with 'LOT001' as the item tracking lines in the SO lines.

Now run the form (Item Tracing - 6520)..selected the Item Filter as Item001 and tried to select Lot No.Filter but after clicking on the lookup button it is opening "Lot.No Information List form". This is showing empty. Infact it shoud show all Lot no. information for that item right? But it is empty..this is my issue.

Is there any setup required to update this form or am i missing anything? Please clarify.
    [Item tracking concept is clear to me...what all i need is Item tracing functionality which is added in NAV 5 and NAV 2009.]
    It is clear for me, my answer was exactly about that. The table is not filled in automatically.

On tracking code you have some settings like "SN Info. Inbound/Outbound Must Exist". If you check this, the user MUST create the SN info. The info itself is not created automatically. Still, without this SN info you can enter the SN and Lot into the tracing form, you just cannot lookup them. I recommend to learn more about the tracking and the SN/Lot info table.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    edited 2010-08-18
    kine wrote:
    It is clear for me, my answer was exactly about that. The table is not filled in automatically.

On tracking code you have some settings like "SN Info. Inbound/Outbound Must Exist". If you check this, the user MUST create the SN info. The info itself is not created automatically. Still, without this SN info you can enter the SN and Lot into the tracing form, you just cannot lookup them. I recommend to learn more about the tracking and the SN/Lot info table.

Hi kine,

Thanks for the info.
    I am using on Lot Specific Tracking ..not SN tracking.
    Well..as u suggested, I have setup "Lot No.Info must exist field" in "Item tracking code" card.
    So, while posting PO itself , it is prompting a message "Lot No. Infor does not exist".
    Can u please tell me ..from where..I should enter Lot.Information details?
    1) Are you end user or partner?
    2) If partner, are you developer or consultant?

(and you can replace SN with Lot in my answers, it works same regardless it is SN or Lot)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    1) Are you end user or partner?
    2) If partner, are you developer or consultant?

(and you can replace SN with Lot in my answers, it works same regardless it is SN or Lot)

Hmn..I am a developer. Sorry and thanks for your time.
    Its really confusing for me. I have wrked on Item tracking many a times other than "Lot No. Information exist".

I got it now. Thanks again.
    If you are developer, I am sure that your collegue consultants will explain you how the Lot No. Info is created and used. In generally, it is common that the record doesn't exists and that you do not have any table you can use to lookup the lot. It is why we are using the settings when Lot No. Info is mandatory and we have customization which create the record automatically right when user use some Lot No. (and will "Close" the record when the Lot is not on inventory anymore to have quicker filtering when searching for Lots on inventory).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.