migrating from nav to sql

shillushillu Member Posts: 72
Hi All,

One of my clients is planning to migrate to NAV 4.0SP3 native databse to SQL database.
coz just to avoid locking issues and also they are looking for transaction level security.

1. Can you please tell me will it be solved (locking issues) after moving to SQL?
2. I know transaction level security is possible with sql. but I dunno how to do. Could you please let me know?

Thanks,

Comments

• einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Locking could still be an issue in SQL. It depends on many things like database design, size, no. of users, program code,...
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    What do you mean by transaction level security?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • shillushillu Member Posts: 72
    Locking could still be an issue in SQL. It depends on many things like database design, size, no. of users, program code,...

Then what would the solution for avoiding locking issues? Even in standard product with less customizations, users are facing locking issues.
    bbrown wrote:
    What do you mean by transaction level security?

Actually it is record level security. SQL database support record level security. where as it is not possible with Native database.
    That's going to depend on what you intend to do with it. Record level security is based on the use of security filters. Truthfully, it only works well with tables that the user only reads data.

What is your intended use?
  • phaniphani Member Posts: 9
    If i am not wrong you can use security filters in the Tools -> Secuirty -> Roles --> Role Permissions --> Security Filters
    phanikumar k
    Yes, that's where they are. But what do you expect from them?

Here's an example of using security filters:

I want a user to only be able to select customers belonging to posting group 'ABC". So I set a security filter with those criteria. This results in that user only being able to see and select those customers.

Now the problem comes if that user attempts to create a new customer. After the user creates and moves of the new "Customer No.", the security filter will filter the new record from his view.
    bbrown wrote:
    Yes, that's where they are. But what do you expect from them?

Here's an example of using security filters:

I want a user to only be able to select customers belonging to posting group 'ABC". So I set a security filter with those criteria. This results in that user only being able to see and select those customers..

Yes. I want exactly this. I want the user to read and post entries to selected locations depends on other security filters applied.
    bbrown wrote:
    Now the problem comes if that user attempts to create a new customer. After the user creates and moves of the new "Customer No.", the security filter will filter the new record from his view.

Sorry! I could not understand what u are trying to say here. Suppose, if the user creates new customer other than 'ABC' posting group, Is he able to select the customer? first of all the user is not supposed to create a customer otherthan ABC posting group. Is it possible?
  • jordi79jordi79 Member Posts: 273
    shillu wrote:
    Hi All,

One of my clients is planning to migrate to NAV 4.0SP3 native databse to SQL database.
    coz just to avoid locking issues and also they are looking for transaction level security.

1. Can you please tell me will it be solved (locking issues) after moving to SQL?
    2. I know transaction level security is possible with sql. but I dunno how to do. Could you please let me know?

Thanks,

1. Locking issues can be improved in SQL, but not completely solved.
    2. Yes. SQL Supports security filters. Meaning, u can implement filters in each users roles. but expect a lot of customisation to make this work perfectly. Try this out on your own, and you will see. From my past experiences working with security filters, it will work, if all the forms in NAV are accessed from List, then to card.
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    shillu wrote:
    Sorry! I could not understand what u are trying to say here. Suppose, if the user creates new customer other than 'ABC' posting group, Is he able to select the customer? first of all the user is not supposed to create a customer otherthan ABC posting group. Is it possible?
    Yes, the user is able to create a customer with a different Posting Group, but this new customer will disappear from his view after he left the record. You have to solve it by workflow. The user should only create new customers by using a customer template.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."