Performance Tuning on a C/SIDE environment

jjhemsjjhems Member Posts: 7
First off, I'm a technical consultant, and my insight in NAV's internals is limited to the login screen :) (well I do manage to setup any components we use).

We have a customer that has just upgraded it's database to 5.0 SP1 (C/SIDE) on a freshly installed Virtual Server (vmware). They are experiencing extremely poor performance. Their performance problems extend to other applications (Outlook, other applications that require networking) as well when the NAV client is active. So I've already suggested to monitor the network, and look for bottlenecks there. We are also going to check the VM configuration for memory, CPU, and disk issues.
    Some info on the server/database configuration: The C/SIDE Database Server is configured to use 990000kB of cache, and commit cache is on. The database (aprox. 20GB) is setup in a single file (I intend to split this into multiple files, on seperate disks)

All in all, I can cover the stuff outside of NAV as well as the NAV infrastructural matters, but I'm not sure how to test (stress/loadtest), and monitor a C/SIDE database. I know there's a performance benchmark tool for SQL Server databases, but can it be used for C/SIDE as wel?

Any assistance is welcome!

Thanx.
Jeroen Hems

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Answers

• einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Did you try Client Monitor?
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Some things to check as a starter:
    -is the NAV-client slow if you are working directly on the server and connecting using 127.0.0.1? If no, it means that the network has some problems.
    -drives : as always : they should be dedicated PHYSICAL drives
    -the VM machine should have enough memory to keep the cache ALWAYS in memory.
    -the VM host should have enough memory to keep the VM client machines ALWAYS in memory.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• jjhemsjjhems Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the comments.

einsTeIn.NET, I have looked at the client monitor, but I also read that it's capable of dragging down performance on its own. Since the customer is already having severe performance issues, I think it's best to keep that one as a last resort.

Kriki, I've received several test reports that seem to point in one direction, VM configuration!
    • Running the client on the VM shows very little to no improvement, so the network is pretty much ruled out
    • I don't yet know about the VM and disk configuration, but the disk config is my primary suspect for now

Thank you again!
    Jeroen Hems

There's no place like 127.0.0.1