Options

Prevent certain things on Customer Cards..

yuppicideyuppicide Member Posts: 410
edited 2010-09-04 in Navision Attain
I have Navision 3.10.

On our main customer card we have a spot thast says "E-Mail" and one for "Website". One person keeps using those fields sometimes for other things that do not belong there. I have to keep fixing customer cards because she refuses to put the correct information there. We have another page that has Contacts if she needs to fit more contacts on the customer card. She refuses to use it because it's "not on the main screen".. on another tab.

In the E-Mail field is there a way I can restrict people from using "www." and in the Website field is there anyway I can restript people from using "@"? At least this will prevent people from entering websites in the E-Mail field and E-Mails in the Website field.

I pulled a customer list and am looking at the number of emails that are in the Website field.. about 60 of them I need to fix.

Comments

• Options
    KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

first of all, it is ridiculous that you have to fix data because a user refuses to do their job correctly.
    Once in a while if you make a mistake that is perfectly acceptable, but on purpose not wanting to go to a different tab. ](*,)
    Would she be so easy if the payroll person didn't want to go to another form to print her paycheck?

Ok, but on your question. Yes, in the onValidate trigger on these fields you can scan what the user has entered and generate an error if the website field contains the '@' sign or when the email address contains "www.".

You can do that with:
    IF STRPOS(UPPERCASE("E-mail"),'WWW.') > 0 then 
      ERROR('Wrong field for the website');

I hope that this helps you,

Regards,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • Options
    KYDutchie wrote:
    Hi,

first of all, it is ridiculous that you have to fix data because a user refuses to do their job correctly.
    Once in a while if you make a mistake that is perfectly acceptable, but on purpose not wanting to go to a different tab. ](*,)
    Would she be so easy if the payroll person didn't want to go to another form to print her paycheck?

Thanks. Will try it out shortly.

Yes, I know it's ridiculous. Technically, I don't have to fix all the errors, but I like to keep things neat.

I use some of the customer card to do my mass mailing. I use addresses to send out postcards and catalogs. I use email to send out sales from time to time to our customers. So, it's important they be accurate.

The lady who does this is on vacation for another 2 weeks. So, it will be nice to have her come back and not be able to do her usual routine lol.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I must have the same person working for us.

Constantly putting notes in customer's address 2 field because it's on the first screen & using other fields for what they are NOT intended for.

Even simple things like Fax No. Is I see "SAME" in the fax # field one more time I might have to attack!
    It's just as easy as copy the phone number to fax# field as it was to type "same".

Meanwhile when we print mailing labels those customers have *Pays Slow* on their freaking label!
    It's unbelieveable to me! :x

I feel Ya!
  • Options
    That's really funny.. I have a lot of addresses I find where instead of putting the name in the Contact field, they'll put it as the second line of an address, but also sometimes as well in Contact field.

So, I'll have address like:

COMPANY
    ATTN: NAME
    ATTN: NAME
    ADDRESS

Looks unprofessional.

This one lady will also stick multiple names in the Contact field instead of using that Contact page, so when I do a mailing it's like ATTN: JAMES / TOm / JULIE / ROGER.. I can't fit all that on an address label and have to correct it.

As for the "Pays Slow" thing, we don't have that issue. We either take credit card payment, which is prepaid, or we do factoring. If a customer pays slow with the factor, they won't get approved next time and they'll be forced to prepay with us.
  • Options
    KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    I know your pain. Some users just don't want to learn or are just plain ignorant.

The great philosopher Ron White said: "You can't fix stupid." So what can we do?
    I don't think we are allowed to put 110Volts on the keyboard each time they make a "mistake". ](*,)
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • Options
    Well, if she won't learn and I don't have access to prohibit her, then I guess she will just accidentally lose the data that was in the wrong spot every time. :) She'll have to call the customer and get it again. It's not like it's data that's critical in most cases.. just entered in wrong location.
  • Options
    How about all entry errors are written to a new table with the user id logged. Where at the end of the month an amount can be deducted from their check. Nothing gets people to do the right thing faster than messing with their money!

IF STRPOS(UPPERCASE("E-mail"),'WWW.') > 0 then
    ERROR('Wrong field for the website - That will cost you $1.00');

:lol:
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Also, the Mail codeunit has a function that verifies that a string is in the form of an email address.
  • Options
    aseigleaseigle Member Posts: 207
    edit

realized I had a customization that used this field.
  • Options
    E-Mail - OnValidate()
    "E-Mail" := LOWERCASE("E-Mail");
    IF ("E-Mail" <> '') AND (STRPOS("E-Mail",'@') = 0) THEN
      ERROR('@ must exist in E-Mail.');
    IF ("E-Mail" <> '') AND (STRPOS("E-Mail",'.') = 0) THEN
      ERROR('. must exist in E-Mail.');

• Options
    On large orders when we print the invoice we draw lines and show where box 1 ends, where 2 starts, etc. Once in while I forget to mark them, because most orders we ship have only 1 box.

So, this lady has the nerve to tell me after all this time they still have to remind me. I only forget once in awhile, as for her writing in the wrong spot it's on a daily basis.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    It seems to me that because you have been fixing this behind the scenes on a daily basis, you have created the expectation that this is 'what you do'. So, as unreasonable as it is, this person has come to rely on you to fix the data, and predictably gets upset when you don't (they probably think "you've been doing it every day for the past x days/weeks/months/years so why is it a problem all of a sudden"). I think you need to sit down with this person and their manager, and come to an agreement about whose responsibility it is to enter the information properly, and what happens when this does not happen.
  • Options
    Maybe so, Den. She yells at me not to fix her mistakes and says I complain about every little mistake she makes. Yet if she complains about mine it's fine.

Our Nav has a bug in it that if you enter an item on a sales order, delete the item, and then want to re-add it where it was.. it'll give you an error message. The fix to this is to enter the item at the end of the order and it'll work fine. This is something we've known and have been doing for over 5 years!

So, today she's arguing with the lady who creates our item cards.. saying she entered the item wrong. The lady is telling her no. They probably talked for 2 minutes or so (plus the time this lady was trying to solve the problem herself). I had the answer immediately and said something from across the room. She yells at me saying nobody asked for your opinion.