Options

Deletion of line item in BOM

dppanditdppandit Member Posts: 29
edited 2010-09-15 in Dynamics AX
Hi Expert,

We are using AX 4.0 SP2.

We want to delete one line items from all BOM (Global deletion), which has been updated in BOM line from excel sheet.

What is the way to handle this in NAV.

After some research, we are able to find the batch job for replacement of item, but not delection.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Dinesh

Comments

• Options
    AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    There is no mass deletion. If an item is required to build it then a mass replacement is common sense, but a mass deletion is not - why would you have added it in the first place would be the common question. There are of course exceptions, but you would need to write a process to handle these.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Options
    dppanditdppandit Member Posts: 29
    I think while posting your views you have only considered software in your mind and not the Industries.

Let me give you some details of the Engineering based Industries, where changes in the BOM arevery frequent.

1. A new item is added in one category of BOM. How will this item be added in all BOM of this type.

2. One item should be removed from the BOM. Please note that this is not replaced, it has ommitted from all the BOM, where is exist.

Therefore there are cases when client need removal of one particular item from all the BOM it exist and many a times reciprocal also.
  • Options
    AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Can you give me an example of an item in an industry is removed from multiple BOM's at the same time and the item is not replaced and the end item remains the same? Then tell me it is not industry specific?

I have experience across multiple systems for many years and have not come across the requirement - you will also note my answer was actually not software specific, so I was actually answering from a non-software perspective. Anyway I am not denying the fact it can exist, but it is the exception, and if software was written for the exceptions it would never be finished.

Bottom line, you need to modify the system to achieve this.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Options
    dferrarettodferraretto Member Posts: 5
    I think you need to create a little function for this like

BOM myBom

ttsbegin;
    delete_from myBOM where itemid == <code of item to delete>
    ttscommit;