CPU Utilization

DevaDeva Member Posts: 34
Dear Experts,

I have a very basic query and I require your valuable suggestion.

We have a client running Navision 3.7 with Native Database and when they run a scheduler job [a codeunit] runs for approximately 50 minutes and consumes 100% CPU utilization but the memory usage is around 33-35%. Perhaps this is not the case while running many other codeunits. There are other few applications running in the system. This codeunit runs in NAS on a particular day on a week once. Because of this 100% CPU Utilization of the process - the other applications running on the system is not responding and the machine has to be restarted.
The criticality here is like - the client is not willing to increase the hardware.

Is there any way to reduce the CPU utilization of Navision so that other process can share the CPU without any problem. The Object cache is 8000 KB and DBMS cache is 8000 KB. The amount of processing done in the codeunit is enormous with the usage of 4 - 5 temporary tables and processes enormous data.

Is there any way so that the CPU utilization can be reduced? [I had guesses like if I could reduce the amount of processing - that would reduce the CPU utilization, but couldn't further tune the codeunit]

Thanks in advance.

Deva

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    This sounds to me like there is inefficient C/AL code in your process.

Advice: Run the NAS process in the client with a client monitor turned on and look for repeating processes. Maybe a REPEAT UNTIL loop goes bananas or something like that.
  • DevaDeva Member Posts: 34
    Many thanks Mark.

Thanks,
    Deva
  • pduckpduck Member Posts: 147
    And as a first workaround you can install the ThreadMaster (http://threadmaster.tripod.com/) so NAV won't take 100%. We used this because in older versions the CPU runs up to 100% when mouse pointer was fixed over an icon and the quick hint is shown.