Options

Navision's future and the role of the community in this.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    The problem then becomes that the new hire is asking an incredible amount of starting salary. Then the owner will have an expectation of this person since he's paying this person so much money.
  • Options
    tonyzonytonyzony Member Posts: 7
    davmac1 wrote:
    I think Microsoft will eventually move to the volume license model. This will enable them to cut list price by 40 to 50% and still make the same money. They will have an on premises model and a cloud model.
    We will then make our money strictly from services.
    This is the route the hardware manufacurers took when they got tired of competing with Dell ink.
    When I started in business the hardware margins were 30 to 40%.

Microsoft just published their quarterly results. If you look at the detail, the Dynamics area was flat for the year with a 4% growth in the last quarter. All the non-Office products in the Business products division make up 10% of that division's revenue - which puts all of Dynamics, including CRM, well under $1B. Microsoft's original target with Project Green, was to turn ERP into a $10B market. Instead it has become Project Red (as in red dell ink). So the solution is sell or split Dynamics, or mass market it.
    If the current partner revamp project does not work - and it probably won't, because it does not address the real problems - then the mass market approach may well be next.
    You said that very well, and I agree.
  • Options
    search1110search1110 Member, No Posting Permissions Posts: 19
    I was really touched reading the responses of the NAV community members. What I was seen before there were armatures in this community. I am working in NAV space a decade. Sometime I am tired of the feces that customers make. I hardly saw one or two pros at client’s companies that were aware of what they needed and knew NAV enough to expect it from NAV. But it is the life. In our planet we have 95% stupidity. Take it or leave it. Do not expect to meet more that this in companies. So it is. Why someone raises this issue in NAV community like this. Why? Nothing else to do? No questions to ask? NO! Because someone from that 95% swamp area cannot live without making feces. Frankly, I expected that NAV community would have less than that percentage. But we still have some. So my advice to all is to ignore the farting coming from that backs. Do what customers wish as good as you can afford and smile as wide as your mouth is. Period.
  • Options
    ResenderResender Member Posts: 119
    My greatest frustation with Navision is the database and how to call data, as an SQL-expert being pressed into the role of Navision Developer I find myself cursing at how data is stored.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Resender wrote:
    My greatest frustation with Navision is the database and how to call data, as an SQL-expert being pressed into the role of Navision Developer I find myself cursing at how data is stored.
    I get that when your background is in a different language, you tend to think that what you know is better than what you don't know. I actually think the strong typed data interface is one of NAV's absolute strengths. I've worked in both worlds, and I was almost instantly productive programming NAV, where after months in a SQL based language I was still struggling.