Restoration of backup failing

djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
Good morning Mibuso. I'm working with 2009 for the first time (6.0) and all I'm trying to do is create a new database and then restore a backup into it. Here is what I've done:

1. Created a new database 200MB in size
2. Use the restore tool (I have a partner license) to select my .fbk file
3. There is only one company in the backup, and I've selected both data and application objects to be restored

It runs almost all the way through before the problem. The error I'm getting is this:

"The field property must be '65'. Property: DataLength Field: ID Table: Windows Login" (bold only to emphasize new lines in the error message)

If I remember correctly, the last time I got this error was because of a difference between the property in the backup and the database I created. This is just a new database, and I've verified that this field length IS 65 in my database, which indicates to me that I've got a backup where the field length in that table is NOT 65 (or maybe even greater). Where I'm confused is that this table is in the 2 billion range, which I didn't think could be modified by anyone. Any thoughts?

Sorry if this is a stupid question from a 2009 newbie, but I promise I searched on it first :)

As always, I thank you all in advance for your help.
"OMG ALL MY DATA IS GONE"
"Show All..."
"Oh..."

Answers

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    djswim wrote:
    If I remember correctly, the last time I got this error was because of a difference between the property in the backup and the database I created. This is just a new database, and I've verified that this field length IS 65 in my database, which indicates to me that I've got a backup where the field length in that table is NOT 65 (or maybe even greater). Where I'm confused is that this table is in the 2 billion range, which I didn't think could be modified by anyone. Any thoughts?

Are you sure its a new database? If its new, how are you able to see objects.

Also why aren't you selecting data common to all companies?
    David Singleton
  • djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    I'm sure it's a new DB, it's the only one in the folder and I just created it. The only objects I see are the ones in that 2 billion range... nothing else is there. I can see the objects from object designer.

I am selecting data common to all companies, but there is only one company in the backup in question... sorry I was a bit vague on that one.
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
    Is it a 2009 backup?
    David Singleton
    These field lengths changed, so this is most likely the issue.
    David Singleton
    Theoretically. The field lengths didn't change between 2009 and 2009 SP1 did they?
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
    djswim wrote:
    Theoretically. The field lengths didn't change between 2009 and 2009 SP1 did they?

Why don't you export the table from your new database, back into the old one. Then recreate the backup and see if that will restore.
    David Singleton
    I don't have access to the old database, only the backup.
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
    djswim wrote:

Then I think you need to restore it into an older set of executables. Check what the field lengths were in 2009, in 2009sp1 they are different, but I don;t know when they changed.
    David Singleton
    I'll be installing it into an SP1 database shortly, so we'll find out right away if that is the problem. If the field got BIGGER in SP1, then installing into an older set wouldn't solve the problem, and I'd like to think that NAV has never moved to shorter fields...

Thanks for all your help and hopefully we'll have an answer soon.
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
    djswim wrote:
    I'll be installing it into an SP1 database shortly, so we'll find out right away if that is the problem. If the field got BIGGER in SP1, then installing into an older set wouldn't solve the problem, and I'd like to think that NAV has never moved to shorter fields...

Thanks for all your help and hopefully we'll have an answer soon.

Hang on... back up a bit...

Are you trying to restore a NAV2009sp1 Backup into a database with NAV2009 executables?
    David Singleton
  • TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    :-k

Hang on... back up a bit...

Are you trying to restore a NAV2009sp1 Backup into a database with NAV2009 executables?

I think I tried that once and got an error about the field size of the windows login table....
    :shock:

t
    I think that's what the problem is, but I have no way to be certain. As soon as I figure out how to get these files onto a VPC I can test it out and post whether it helped...
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
    djswim wrote:
    I think that's what the problem is, but I have no way to be certain. As soon as I figure out how to get these files onto a VPC I can test it out and post whether it helped...

Yeah but answer the question.

Are you trying to restore a newer backup into older executables?

or

Where did you get the backup from?
    David Singleton
    The reason I can't answer the question is because I can't find anyone who knows what version the backup is from. There seems to be a consensus that it's from 2009, but no one knows if it's SP1 or not. I was originally was trying to back it up into a non-SP1 set of executables, but am now going to try it in SP1, so as soon as I figure out how to wrangle this VPC I'm working with, I'll know :)
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    djswim wrote:
    Why don't you export the table from your new database, back into the old one. Then recreate the backup and see if that will restore.
    If the fbk file includes the objects, then it can be used exactly as an fob file. So just import the objects from the fbk into the new db and take a look...
    Regards
    Peter
  • cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    If you don't know the version of the backup try this:

- Open an existing database doesn't matter what version
    - Open object designer choose File -> Import and point it to the fbk file.

Then it will read the objects in the fbk file and you can see what versions they are from in the import window.

Opps it was a second page...so my suggestion was already posted sorry

Awesome tip on using the .fbk as an import to see the version though, thank you, I will definitely remember that!

Thank you to everyone!
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV Three Tier' forum to 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!