Options

How copy the entire database

markyTmarkyT Member Posts: 120
edited 2010-07-20 in SQL General
Hi, a few days ago I've migrated to my 3.70 version to SQL. The problem is that I can't copy and entire local copy of the .fdb database. When I do it, it shows only the data before migration, it's very strange. I need it entire to do local testings. Before migration I could do "copy and paste", for example, but now I can't. How can I do that?.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    What are you talking about? There is no .fdb in SQL.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    markyT wrote:
    The problem is that I can't copy and entire local copy of the .fdb database.
    What exactly are you trying to copy?
    -.fdb is for native DB.
    -.mdf,.ndf,.ldf are SQL files.

So if you want to create a local copy in a native DB, you need to do a native backup+restore.
    If you want to create a local copy in a SQL DB, you can copy -.mdf,.ndf,.ldf are SQL files (after taking the database ofline) and then re-attach the DB. Or use a SQL backup-restore.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Sorry, I'll try to explain better. Before migration to SQL I "copy and paste" the database and I could work with it in local mode. Now I want to do the same, but I can't. You mean that I have to install another sql server and restore de backups to works in local with my database?.
  • Options
    Ok, now it is clear.
    You need a sql server installation to work locally.

To have a copy on your local installation, there are some possible ways (in this preferable order):
    1) SQL backup (COPY ONLY if you get one from production) and restore on your local server (no need to create the DB first)
    2) Take the DB off-line (don't do that in production!) and copy the files to your local server and attach them
    3) Make a native backup (quite difficult and long to do that!). Create a DB locally through your NAV-client and restore the DB.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    Buff!!, it's a little complicated, it was better before. Ok; I'll try it.
    Thanks for help.
  • Options
    Actually it is not more complicated. You just have more options and most of them are faster than native backup restore.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion