Average Cost. Calc. Type Based on Location.

nav_devpnav_devp Member Posts: 47
Hi All,
I have the unique requirement from customer that they would like to have the average cost to be calculated for some location to be on individual location level but for some other locations, they would like the average cost to be calculated using group of locations.
Example
They have
Location A
Location B
Location C
If the sales is from the Location A system to calculate avg. cost on Location level A.
But if the sales is from Location B or Location C, system to calculate the average cost using location B and C both.

So, for ITEM X,
Purchase Location A (Qty = 1) $10
Purchase Location A (Qty = 1) $20
Purchase Location B (Qty = 1) $20
Purchase Location C (Qty = 1) $30
Purchase Location C (Qty = 1) $40

What they want,
Sales Location A (Qty = 1) $15
Sales Location B (Qty = 1) $30
but NAV ,assuming I have set the costing on item / variant / location level, will give following results,
Sales Location A (Qty = 1) $15
Sales Location B (Qty = 1) $20

I planning to change the program to handle this by modifying cost adjustment routine so that while calculating the average cost to look for one location / multiple location based on setup maintained on individual Location.
Before I do that , I would like to have opinion from you all, has someone case across this requirement before? Is there any other way to handle this rather than changing the program?
Please suggest.
Thanks.

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I suggest to not make this modification. Instead of using location for those Group Location. Create One location called "BC"

Use Bins instead to track inventory in those GroupLocation.

If you do the mod, we are talking of 100's of hours of development and huge number of objects modified and increased risk of the project and upgradability.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • nav_devpnav_devp Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for reply.
    I totally agree with you that change will be huge and that's why want to have second opinion / workaround.
    Do we any other solution rather than using BINS (customer doesn't have anything do with the warehousing), so will be difficult to push for the BIN solution.
    Thanks.
    you do not need to use warehouse management to use bins.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• nav_devpnav_devp Member Posts: 47
    Thing is the locations which are under one group are actually physical locations and user does carry out transfer order (TO) between this locations and I afraid I won't be able to use TO if I go for BIN usage. (Using reclassification for transfer would be one option, but may not be good solution).
    I understand using BINs could be one option, but do we have any other way to address this?
    You could make the mod to allow Transfer within same location. Probably much easier. Add from bin to bin to the header if the user selects the same from and To Location.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini