Upgrade 2.5 to Nav 2009 sp1

Navuser2Navuser2 Member Posts: 2
Dear Friends,
Anyone can guide or give me hint for upgrade from Navision 2.5 version to Navision 2009 sp1 for US .
I am planning to take out the customized part from version Nav. 2.5 & put it in version Nav. 2009. And then I will export the data from 2.5 version & Import it in Nav. 2009 verision by using dataport.

Need Suggestion, I am going in correct way?

Thanks.

Comments

• danlindstromdanlindstrom Member Posts: 130
    Search in forum.
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=42017

Do an incremental upgrade 2.5 -> 3.7/4.0 -> 2009!
    Regards
    Dan Lindström
    NCSD Navision 2.00 since 1999 (Navision Certified Solution Developer)
    MBSP Developer for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

I don't know how experienced you are with upgrades, but if you are not experienced, please get an experienced consultant involved. First of all be very careful with what you are doing. The objects are extremely different between 2.5 and 2009.
    You will have to do an object upgrade. Also make an inventory of your customer's customization and functional area's.
    Questions you should ask are:
    1. Does my customer use Jobs and do they have customization in the Jobs area.
    2. Does my customer use (Serenic) Payroll and do they have customization in this area.
    3. Does my customer have customization that is now in the standard product.
    etc, etc, etc

So many tables have been removed or replaced between these two versions. Not to mention the changes in the table fields.

I currently am doing an upgrade from 2.6 to 2009SP1 and I can tell you that it is not easy.
    My customer has a heavily customized db on Jobs, Purchasing/receiving and HR/Payroll. They even have customization on the department and project tables.

So if you are just going to export the customized native objects from 2.5 and import those into 2009SP1, you probably will break both 2009SP1 and your customized objects. And that is if you can import the objects.

The best advice to give is:
    1. Upgrade the tables to 3.7
    2. Upgrade the tables to 4.0SP3 Serenic update 6 if your customer uses payroll otherwise you can skip this step.
    3. Upgrade all the objects to 2009SP1.
    Then do the data upgrade 2.5 -> 3.7 -> 4.0SP3-> 2009SP1 if your customer uses Serenic Payroll.
    Otherwise you can do a data upgrade 2.5 -> 3.7 -> 2009SP1.
    Don't use the dataports to transfer the data.

The last step will be: Test, test, test and test again.

Hope this helps,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Navuser2 wrote:
    Dear Friends,
    Anyone can guide or give me hint for upgrade from Navision 2.5 version to Navision 2009 sp1 for US .
    I am planning to take out the customized part from version Nav. 2.5 & put it in version Nav. 2009. And then I will export the data from 2.5 version & Import it in Nav. 2009 verision by using dataport.

Need Suggestion, I am going in correct way?

Thanks.

Not sure what to say. My first question is "If you are in India why are you doing an upgrade to the US version?" followed by "have you worked extensively in the US with versions from 2.5 up to 2009?"
    David Singleton
  • DRBDRB Member Posts: 105
    Navuser2,
    The approach mentioned by you is totally wrong, it will result in mesh-up.
    People have already suggested you the right approach and I believe if you are doing upgrade project first time, then I don't think trying for 2.5 to 2009 is the right thing.

Anyway, I wish you client good luck.
    -Dhan Raj Bansal
    Linkedin Profile: http://in.linkedin.com/in/dhanrajbansal