Journal Line Dimension Disapearing

elmarfvelmarfv Member Posts: 53
Hi guys,

I have a freaky situation going on here at one of my clients. Basically all the Journal Line Dimension are sporadically disappearing. The Dimensions on the Journal lines are still there, but there are no more Journal Line Dimension corresponding to it.

I activated the change log for the Journal Line Dimension and it wielded no results, the Journal Line Dimensions were still disappearing without logging anything about it.

That to me means that the being deleted without using the OnDelete() Trigger, the global one that is.
I have searched the system, using the Navision Toolkit for any lines that delete from this table without calling the trigger and there are a few, but all of them refer to a temp variable.

Can any of you think of another way to try and figure out what is going on?
Elmar F. Vidisson
Certified Navision Attain Developer

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    are they using dataports to fill in journal lines and it's not validating the dimension field properly?

we can guess all day :roll:
  • raj2000beraj2000be Member Posts: 36
    Which version is this on. I had this happening on 3.6 or 3.7 a while ago and was told this was a bug in the product. We ended up writing a utility to validate the journal dimension and had it run in the background before the posting.

Raj
  • elmarfvelmarfv Member Posts: 53
    They are not using any dataports. The Journals get created correctly with the Journal Line Dimension filled in correctly, but then when they go to post, they have disapeared. sometimes it days between the creation of the journal and the actual posting.

There has to be a code that cleares these out somewhere in the system, I just don't know how to look for it.
    Elmar F. Vidisson
  • elmarfvelmarfv Member Posts: 53
    This is on version 5.0
    Elmar F. Vidisson
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Try to enable client monitor and look there for deletion in this table. It will help you to find the correct spot in code...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    elmarfv wrote:
    I have searched the system, using the Navision Toolkit for any lines that delete from this table without calling the trigger and there are a few, but all of them refer to a temp variable.

Even if the variable contains the word "temp" on its name, have you checked that the Temporary property is set to Yes in all of them?

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.
  • kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    Also try to search for any DELETEALL and check if the proper filters are set before deleting.

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.
  • highwaystarhighwaystar Member Posts: 22
    Hi Experts!!!!

I know this post is pretty old, but unfortunately I am facing a similar issues in NAV 2009 R2. The dimension in the Journal Line Dimension table are vanishing. And the same does not replicate in the Test DB. I believe this is happening in a multi-user enviornment.

At the time of input of the entry in the General Journal, the user also generates the Test Report to verify if all the dimension are selected correctly, and the test report does not show any warnings, but when the user tries to post the journal, the dimension just disappears from Journal Line Dimension table, but they are available in the Shortcut dimension in the General Journal Table. And this is happening very unpredicatably.

Please provide some insight or any help,

Thanks in advance.
  • gerrykistlergerrykistler Member Posts: 149
    The answer is the same as posted before. There must be code somewhere that is deleting the journal line dimensions. This can be either a variable named as temp but does not have the Temporary property set to Yes, or some variable somewhere which is not properly filtered.
    Example: Back in version 2.5 the US Payroll functionality had a function to accrue payroll costs incurred in the month but not paid until the next. In this process there were multiple GenJournalLine variables and there was one, lets say GenJournalLine4, which was only referenced once with this line:
    GenJournalLine4.DELETEALL;

There was nothing else so needless to say when the accrual process was run all the Gen. Journal Line records were deleted which included recurring journals of which my client had several hundred. Now this was in the standard product but in your case if it does not occur in standard then finding it should be easy - look at all the customizations and look for a variable that is deleting Journal Line Dimensions and is either
    1) Variable that is meant to be temporary but is not
    2) Not properly filtered before deleting.
    Gerry Kistler
    KCP Consultores
  • highwaystarhighwaystar Member Posts: 22
    Hi Gerry,

We have checked all the posibilities of the customization and have not found any code or variable which are not set to temp and deleting the dimension.

We have found that when the users are assigned the "Super" Roles, the dimension do not vanish or disappear, but even if we assign "Super (Data)" role to the same user, the dimension vanishes or disappears.

There is something related to the roles, however we have still not been able to figure out the reason for the same. We have also tried to create a new roles with all objects access to the users except for System 0, still the dimension disappears. But as soon as System 0 is added to the role, the dimension do not disappear.

Any insight might help!!!

Thanks