Dynamics NAV and Biztalk per Commerce Gateway

HennyHenny Member Posts: 9
Hi,

I'm completely new to Biztalk and I have to find out wether Biztalk is a good choice to import the old data from a MYSQL-Database to NAV. Has anyone experience on that? I have read that I can use the Commerce Gateway to transfer the data to NAV. Is it possible to trigger the business logic of Dynamics NAV after importing the data?

Thanks,
Henny

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    If you need only one-time import, I definitely will go in export/import way. Using Biztalk for one-time import is like using Atomic bomb to kill ant (I mean standard ant, not some "Super Cosmic Ant"). Commerce gateway is good when you need to transfer on-line documents between more systems, like some complex EDI or integrating SAP and NAV and other systems etc.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • HennyHenny Member Posts: 9
    Thanks kine,
    unfortunately my customer expects a "professional" method to import/export the data :( Do you have any other ideas to solve this problem?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It is one-time import? You are talking about importing old data from mysql. Export as file and import as file for this "initial" data entry is the best method. It IS PROFESSIONAL, because one side of professionalism is to care about customer price... ;-) Do not forget that if you want to use BizTalk you need to buy license for it and buy Biztalk for one-time import... [-X

If you are pro or not is not measured by tool you are using. It is measured by your knowledge which tool you use when and how you use the tool. And it seems that right now you are trying to be a pro for your customer but you aren't... sorry, may be it look hard from me, but believe me, it is just the form used to tell it to you (text).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.