Removing Old Data from Navision

sureshpsureshp Member Posts: 17
Hi,

My customer (Dealer Segment) having data more than 5 years in current database. He wants to remove previous year data except current year in present db.

Our approach is we can create new db and move current year data and make this as live db and existing db can be treated as old data db.

Apart from this is there any other options, kindly share....

Regards,
Suresh

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Why does he want to do this and what does he want to remove?
    David Singleton
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    My money is on performance issues :D
  • sureshpsureshp Member Posts: 17
    Becasue of DB size and performance issue he wants to keep old data to be removed from current db.
    kapamarou wrote:
    My money is on performance issues :D

You just won!!!!
    David Singleton
    Suresh I really don't know what to say. Any honest advise I give to help you, is basically going to say that you need external help to solve this.

If you touch this database you are likely to cause a lot of problems. But I will take a guess and say that probably the customer is not willing to spend money to make the system faster, so you are looking for a way to do something cheap that will keep them happy.

As a Navision partner your company should have skilled personnel that can solve customers needs. Its not enough to sell the product and then when something goes wrong simply post on a forum and hope someone will solve the issue.

This situation can be solved, but if you are making suggestions like this and asking questions like this, I don't really think you are ready to solve this alone.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    As a Navision partner your company should have skilled personnel that can solve customers needs. Its not enough to sell the product and then when something goes wrong simply post on a forum and hope someone will solve the issue.
    Actually, you don't HAVE to have any skills at all to be a partner. If you can get a few cousins to write a "customer reference", and you can pass a handful of exams with some dumps, you're in business. Microsoft's business model is focused on license sales only, and there are absolutely no controls in place to ensure partner quality. I have not heard a single story of partners losing their status because of a screwed up implementation.
    You just won!!!!

Yes! And if the customer goes down that route then somebody loses!

Same old story. Recently a customer had performance issues and somebody suggested data deletion. So the customer buys an ERP product that after just 4-5 years and only a couple of million entries you tell him that what you sold him becomes useless regarding old statistical data.

Only one advise from me and it's not something new:
    Any honest advise I give to help you, is basically going to say that you need external help to solve this.
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Yeah... Sad, but true!
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    DenSter wrote:
    Actually, you don't HAVE to have any skills at all to be a partner. If you can get a few cousins to write a "customer reference", and you can pass a handful of exams with some dumps, you're in business. Microsoft's business model is focused on license sales only, and there are absolutely no controls in place to ensure partner quality. I have not heard a single story of partners losing their status because of a screwed up implementation.

And don't even get me started on some of the crap that's being approved as a certified Microsoft Dynamics NAV Add-On.. There are some awesome add-ons out there that are well designed and deployed with great, deep support; but also some that should never see the light of day.

t
    Well imagine that the simplest and fastest way to become a certified Navision reseller is to develop an Add-On for Navision which gives you a developer license and then you can sell. So we can expect that a lot of Add-Ons we see now are actually the first thing those developers did with Navision, and have probably never seen a live Navision user.
    David Singleton
    This goes well beyond some rookie companies without NAV specific experience. I know of some very well respected add-ons from 'respected' companies that put out so called "add-ons" that cannot have been tested because basic functionality in their own very limited documentations simply does not work. I know of some very well established people, insiders even, that used braindumps to get certified just to be able to get access to ISV only material or MCT portals.

The fact is that the only thing that matters these days is license sales, and nobody cares how those sales are won.
    DenSter wrote:
    The fact is that the only thing that matters these days is license sales, and nobody cares how those sales are won.

But in the long run this damages a company's and the product's reputation leading (at some point) to fewer sales. Something should be done about this.
    kapamarou wrote:
    But in the long run this damages a company's and the product's reputation leading (at some point) to fewer sales. Something should be done about this.
    I agree 100% with both statements
    DenSter wrote:
    Actually I should say that there ARE people who care, quite a few even. My skepticism got the best of me there. It's just unfortunate that there seems to be a growing number of unqualified companies selling this product that have no intentions of ever truly supporting it.
  • kash387kash387 Member Posts: 111
    Actually I should say that there ARE people who care, quite a few even. My skepticism got the best of me there. It's just unfortunate that there seems to be a growing number of unqualified companies selling this product that have no intentions of ever truly supporting it.

You are right experts, recently I had an experience with the failure implementation, one of my client was implemented by some other partner, and they just customized the database as per the customer's requirement, and as a result, there were many 'miss' in the standard flow.

The client then approached us and (un)luckily I was ordered to handle the project.....

For me, the advantages were, I came to know, how others do the codes, few of them were too good, and the rest I have to make correct.

A Partner should take care of the things, that whether they are being paid for customization, they should not touch the 'soft corner' without any expert's consideration.
    Thanks,

Kashyap
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    DenSter wrote:
    kapamarou wrote:
    I don't. I'm with you when you say that a company's or a product's reputation could get damaged by not taking care of the quality of their work but of the volume of sales. But that's not a must. There are some companies that control those tendencies by a clever marketing strategy. And at the stock market very often only the turnover and the gross margin is considered. So, it could be that those companies will have some angry customers, but in an external, facile view it may look like they are the best.

And of course it's not always a thing of the company itself but of the employees. It's possible that you can get very good consulting and development services or a big bunch of crap by the same company.

I think it's also a problem of the society. Everything's about the money. Of course nobody wants to work for free, but I think other assessment critera don't have enough importance in our business world.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • dkonedkone Member Posts: 59
    Hi,
    sureshp wrote:
    Becasue of DB size and performance issue he wants to keep old data to be removed from current db.

If i were you, i'll not remove any data before trying to correct preformance prob.
    For space problems, just buy more disk space. For performance, just find the slowest processes and use sql server profiler to identify queries that take a long time. And read w1w1adg.pdf and w1w1isql.pdf

I'm not an expert in NAV like u are. And i will never thank u enough for the help you gave to me. But i did something that your are not agree with: starting NAV with a new customer and become a reseller. I spent all my days to satisfy my customer, read all docs, go to training session, search on mibuso (Thank u all), i made mistakes, learn a lot, and i've been terrified sometimes (i touhgt : "i will never end it"). But now it's done. My customer is happy, enjoy NAV, and i'm going to start with another customer. I'm a "bad and rookie company" that - like u said - should never start NAV. Why ? It's just a customer, a computer, a chair, and tons of coffee...

dkone.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    DenSter wrote:
    kapamarou wrote:

Reminds me of an blog I wrote:
    http://mibuso.com/blogs/alexchow/2008/04/21/my-microsoft-conundrum/

As a public company, MSFT is focused on revenue growth. And let's not forget MSFT is a software sales company, not a service company.
  • TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    The word I have heard is that they are looking to make it tougher to get certs and remove some of the resellers that are not up to scratch..

My concern is I believe that a lot of unhappy customers complain, but fail to take proactive action to move to a partner that can provide the level of support, as well as depth and thought leadership that is required to make their investment work for them....

That's not good for the product, market, or community.

t
  • dkonedkone Member Posts: 59
    TonyH wrote:
    The word I have heard is that they are looking to make it tougher to get certs and remove some of the resellers that are not up to scratch..

My concern is I believe that a lot of unhappy customers complain, but fail to take proactive action to move to a partner that can provide the level of support, as well as depth and thought leadership that is required to make their investment work for them....

That's not good for the product, market, or community.

t

What Microsoft can do ? i worked for an end-user and the partner was one of the top 3 of my country (24-karat gold partner, of course). Because we were a small customer (but it was a big project for us) they send us NAV noobs and we lost a lot of time (and money). The big service companies (not only in NAV) are growing faster than they can... They hire everybody that can wear a tie. That's the real problem. I'm agree with you : the second problem is that customers don't have qualified employees to drive their big ERP project.

(feel free to correct my poor english)
    TonyH wrote:

Yes I heard that too**, and they did seem very serious. I just wonder if they are really going to follow through with the threat, and how long it will take.

**Though since I heard this in 1994 and I have not really seen it happen, I am a little skeptical, but I am sure it will soon.
    David Singleton
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Tougher meaning you will require additional certified people, more reference, and (surprise) minimum sales requirements. Nothing about unhappy customers... And usually, from my experience, most unhappy customers are from large solution centers.

I remember in the old days before MSFT bought Navision, if you got too many customer complaints, you'd lose your status to sell Navision.