Options

Copy/Paste Rows in Account Schedules

lgplgp Member Posts: 77
edited 2012-02-09 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,
In the Classic Client, I can create a new Account Schedule, and copy/paste the lines from an existing Account Schedule to my new one. When I try to do it in the RTC, I have an option to Copy Rows, but there is no Paste option. Has anyone been able to do this? Or is this functionality missing from the RTC?
Thanks!
Leanne G. Paul
Business Applications/IT Advisor, Competitive Edge Services

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    copy and paste is not added to RTC. Only Copy is allowed.

I'm thinking this is by design.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
  • Options
    I'm guessing here. One reason is that they haven't implemented it yet.

Second reason is that a lot of tables have fields keep track of status of the record.

For example sales line keeps track of status oustanding qty etc.
    Most tables have global dimension 1 and 2 and two and when you copy and paste the validate is not executed and cause problems down the line.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    ara3n wrote:
    I'm guessing here. One reason is that they haven't implemented it yet.

Second reason is that a lot of tables have fields keep track of status of the record.

For example sales line keeps track of status oustanding qty etc.
    Most tables have global dimension 1 and 2 and two and when you copy and paste the validate is not executed and cause problems down the line.

Not every table can be copied and pasted in the classic client anyway, but tables like ship-to address should be able to copy and paste.
  • Options
    You could also build copy paste functionality for specific Pages that customer asks but it's not the ideal solution.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Alex Chow wrote:
    ara3n wrote:
    I'm thinking this is by design.

Really? Why?
    Yes, it was not implemented in 2009. We will see in next version... ;-) or may be R2?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Its strange that we keep hearing all this talk about how the RTC is so much more productive than the classic client; yet it has so many needed features missing to really use efficiently. Some how it just doesn't add up to me.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Rob_HansenRob_Hansen Member Posts: 296
    I can't second David's comment strongly enough. I'm holding out hope that R2 delivers functionality to close a lot of these gaps in missing basic functionality...and I hope I'm not disappointed.

I personally don't think the RTC should have been released in its current form...certainly not in its original form before SP1. It's put partners like us in a very difficult position. For new implementations we'd be doing clients a disservice by putting them on the classic client (knowing it will go away in a few years and they'll face an expensive conversion to the RTC), but at the same time we're having to force them to live with big limitations in functionality (that the classic client would have had - like copy/paste), and also facing limitations in what we can do with customization (no, sorry...we can't highlight the expected receipt date in green on some rows and red on others) and also quoting much higher service costs than the classic client for things that we CAN customize (it just takes longer in a lot of cases). I don't know how the sales picture is looking for Dynamics NAV, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a dip (or at least slower growth) during these couple years of transition to the RTC that will hopefully go away once a PROPER release is done. I just can't help but think Microsoft would have been better off to wait a couple more years on even releasing the RTC. Anyway, what's done is done...
  • Options
    ccolonna@teamt.comccolonna@teamt.com Member Posts: 6
    Greetings,

With NAV 2009 R2 RTC, according to Microsoft Help, the paste functionality should work with Copy Rows if you see the options when you right-click a row. You can Copy Rows (CTRL + SHIFT + C), and if Paste is available you should be able to Paste the row. I am working with Account Schedules, this seems to work fine with Journals.

Our problem is with the paste, it does not paste the row - rather it will past the heading column names into one field - the Row No., or Description as an example.

Has anyone been successful in Copy Row and Paste in an Account Schedule with 2009 R2?

Appreciate it!