Options

NAV-Windows Login Vs. Database Logins

Ravi_ThakkarRavi_Thakkar Member Posts: 392
edited 2010-07-05 in NAV Three Tier
Hello Experts,

NAV RTC is working based on Windows Logins.

Obviously Microsoft provided this feature due to so many "+ points" of Windows Login against Database Logins.

I want to know Pros and Cons of Windows Logins over Database Login.

Also, RTC never asks for login due to windows login. Then, anybody can modify the data from other persons's pc without any login.
That may create data security issues.

Is there any solution to provide the Login feature for RTC?

Please, provide the appropriate solution.
Ravi_Thakkar
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
E Mail : ravi.thakkar@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Train the users to simply either logout (of Windows) or lock their computers when they will be left unattended.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Ravi_ThakkarRavi_Thakkar Member Posts: 392
    Thanks for your reply.

Sometimes Endusers are not intelligent enough to understand such importance.
    And such suggestion will not work always.

It can also be possible that, in some comopanies, all Active Directory Users(Windows Logins) have same Password.
    In that case, idea Locking the Screens will not help.

Any more suggestion?
    Ravi_Thakkar
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    E Mail : ravi.thakkar@hotmail.com
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268

Sometimes Endusers are not intelligent enough to understand such importance.
    And such suggestion will not work always...

This is not a technology problem.
    It can also be possible that, in some comopanies, all Active Directory Users(Windows Logins) have same Password.
    In that case, idea Locking the Screens will not help.

In this case I would suggest a serious review of company security policy and how it has been implemented.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    Fundamentally, if you wish to use the RTC you need to use Windows Authentication.

I cannot see a way that you can modify the system to allow database authentication w/RTC without a lot of changes to the client and middle tier. Which as an end user is next to impossible.

You could, and this is off the top of my head, apply a group policy to all the machines that would force the system to lock after a period of inactivity. But that has nothing to do with NAV.

t