Dimension in NAV

bangswitbangswit Member Posts: 265
hi all....
I want to know about dimensions
where can I get those softcopy for dimension?
what is the main benefit or function from dimension?
What is the difference about Global dimension and Shortcut dimension?

ok thanks

Comments

• devu_13devu_13 Member Posts: 101
    Just Try it. :P
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl​oad/2/0/E/20E4A0A4-1ADB-46D5-AC8B-5​5651E72A1B3/MicrosoftDynamicsNAVDim​ensions_FactSheet.pdf
    Devendra Kr. Sharma
    IBIZ Consulting Services,India
  • rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    That's a really broken link, you know.

Anyway the difference between 'shortcut' dimensions and 'global' dimensions is rather dumb. The 'Global' is fine I suppose, it just means that those two dimensions are physically copied to all the primary data records so you can index and filter on them. Of course, they can easily get out of sync with each other.

The shortcut ones are just the ones that are displayed directly on a couple of forms (mainly the G/L journal and entries forms) It's almost as if the programmer changed a couple of forms for an example and said to the "manager" 'this is how it's done, just get someone to copy it to where it's needed'. But nobody did.

As you may have guessed I'm not enamoured with dimensions, I still think they should have put the fields all directly on the real records and used transferfields through a record that has only the dimension fields on it to copy them around and work with them generically.
  • bangswitbangswit Member Posts: 265
    no .. i can download it
    it's not a broken link...
    thanks for the link