Options

SP1 compatability with recently released Microsoft products

davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
edited 2011-05-09 in NAV Three Tier
Is the current version of NAV 2009 SP1 role-tailored client and application tier compatable with:
Visual Studio 2010
Exchange 2010
Office 2010
Silverlight 4.0
ASP.NET 4.0
SQL Server 2008 R2 - especially SSRS

Will installing any of these products cause the RTC or application tier not to work?

I looked on Partnersource, but except for a lovely announcement about Infor, I saw nothing else referencing new core Microsoft technologies.

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    IF t(release of new versions of new products) > t(release of NAV 2009 SP1) THEN 
      DontCountOnIt := TRUE;

• Options
    I was hoping for some knowledge not Sunday humor/humour (for our British friends).
    I have a dream that someday Microsoft owned ERP packages will be a the forefront of new Microsoft technology instead of all our competitors.
    I have a dream that someday we Dynamics NAV will issue a press release saying that we have already done it, instead of we also plan to do what Infor has already done - just wait (and wait and wait).
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    NAV2009SP1 is not compatible with VS2010, that's for sure.

Regarding Office and Exchange, I think that there is no problem... but of course not "official compatible"...

Silverlight, ASP, SSRS - all depends on how you are using it, and there cannot be something like "official compatible" - those are generic tools and thus you can use them in compatible way or in noncompatible way... I can say that SSRS is Navision 2.60 comatible if you want (you can create report over the data on SQL...)...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    kine wrote:
    Regarding Office and Exchange, I think that there is no problem... but of course not "official compatible"...
    Except for the 64-bit versions of course, it seems there are no 'thunks' to connect it to the 32-bit NAV.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    davmac1 wrote:
    I was hoping for some knowledge not Sunday humor
    You've been on mibuso long enough that this WAS in fact knowledge, just wrapped around a cute way of saying "when Microsoft releases new products, compatibility with other products is not always a given". Expect problems, verify with your MSFT contact before implementing new versions, especially when they are released after your NAV version.

Tell me though, how would you approach them dealing with this issue? How do you think they can have an efficient plan to check for compatibility across their product lines every time a new version comes out? How do you propose that the Visual Studio team releases services packs for all other products to make those compatible? Are you suggesting that every product team has a team of people ensuring compatibility wth all other MSFT products?

I'm not defending incompatible products, just recognizing that it might not be all that easy to manage.
  • Options
    My beef is everyone knows what you said is true. It should be up to NAV to be testing the alphas and betas and be first to market with updates to handle the new stack products.
    It seems we are always way behind the technology curve on new Microsoft product updates.
    Are we always destined to be 6 to 12 months behind?
    I have heard about VS 2010 breaking NAV. I have heard that SQL Server 2008 R2 breaks the NAV RTC reports.
    Have their been any fixes?
    I am hoping for an update to this thread from Microsoft with the current status and their intentions - and I am hoping it is not wait until NAV 2009 R2.
  • Options
    davmac1 wrote:
    ... the new stack products.
    Hmmm, "stack", the only people that say that are the propaganda people at microsoft. You should really take a couple of buckets of metaphorical salt to those meetings. Or you might get swept into bankruptcy by "dumb and dumber".
    davmac1 wrote:
    It seems we are always way behind the technology curve on new Microsoft product updates.
    Are we always destined to be 6 to 12 months behind?
    I have heard about VS 2010 breaking NAV. I have heard that SQL Server 2008 R2 breaks the NAV RTC reports.
    Have their been any fixes?
    Sorry accounting systems aren't sexy, the marketeers don't like them so they don't demo them. So Microsoft doesn't "dog food" NAV. In addition Microsoft seem to be treating NAV as an application not a development tool. So you get the "ship it anyway" mentality. Unfortunately, it seems that enough people fall for the hype to make it worthwhile to ship the dev tools too in recent times. Witness the sexy but broken additions to MS-SQL over the last few years.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Also consider the cost implications here. You are talking about compatability testing that is likely important to only a small percentage of the NAV customer base, but would raise the price for the whole base. Does this push that base to other products?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    mthomsenmthomsen Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 5
    We recently did two blog posts on this topic:

* SQL Server / Visual Studio:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/201 ... -2010.aspx

* Office / SharePoint:

Regards, Michael
    Michael Svanholm Thomsen [MSFT]
    Lead Program Manager, Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server & Tools
    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    philippegirodphilippegirod Member Posts: 191
    So....
    What could be the solution if I have VS 2010 and NAV 2009?
    I'm not anymore able to use the Report Layout??
    Or is there a solution (free versions of previous VS tools, for instance).
    My candle burns by both ends, it will not last the night,
    But oh my foes and oh my friends, it gives a lovely light
  • Options
    The minimum requirement for Nav report editing is:

Visual studio express 2008, web developer.
    and
    Microsoft Report Viewer Add-on for Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition

Files should be available on ms downloads:

en_visual_studio_2008_express_with_service_pack_1_x86_dvd_x15-04728.iso
    VWD_RV_Addon_enu.exe

And yes, they're 'free'.
  • Options
    philippegirodphilippegirod Member Posts: 191
    Thanks!
    I'll try to find this file right now.
    My candle burns by both ends, it will not last the night,
    But oh my foes and oh my friends, it gives a lovely light
  • Options
    johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
    mthomsen wrote:
    We recently did two blog posts on this topic:

* SQL Server / Visual Studio:

* Office / SharePoint:

Regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

Is the NAV 2009 R2 also compatible with Office 2010? Is there any company that has been used NAV 2009 R2 with Office 2010? Thank You.
    Best regards,

Johanna