Dimensions for Realized/Unrealized/Residual Gains/Losses

dorenthasdorenthas Member Posts: 31
We recently ran into a problem with G/L postings related to multiple currencies and exchange rates. We are wondering whether this might be a bug (and if it is, whether there might be a hotfix for it) or if it's a "missing feature" that must be added through customization. (I apologize in advance for not being able to provide report or form Nos. to test this out; our financial analyst did not give me more details, and he is out of the office today.)

Here's the problem. When using forms & reports that post entries to the Realized/Unrealized Gains & Losses G/L Accounts, the resulting entries do not have any dimension set, even though we have defined a Dimension Value Code in the Default Dimensions for all of these accounts. We also have the same problem with Residual Gains/Losses entries generated by the system when posting journal batches.

We tried setting the Value Posting = Same Code or Code Mandatory in the Default Dimension settings of the accounts, but in both cases, the Posting Routine (or more precisely, the Check Line codeunit, I think?) throws an error because no dimension has been set. Obviously, that's not the solution.

Our NAV version is 5 SP 1, SQL Server option, with a customer license.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Answers

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Not having looked I will "guess" at the following.

The realised gain/loss is from currency flucuations, and therefore not really related to a dimension like cost centre, department, project etc etc. Therefore when the system generates these it does not pull the dimensions in. When you post an invoice and the total is different this is not attributable to the customer/item, it is simply currency movements. My theory would therefore be that the posting references no dimensions and therefore cannot have them on.

This is purely based on your question and how I feel MS would reply.

My view would be to have the system contain the functionality to post the gain/loss with dimensions by parameter setting. I guess however you cannot and it is the system handling this posting and it is not programmed to reference dimensions.

To do this you need to code it - assuming of course it does not do it anyway!
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • dorenthasdorenthas Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the answer! Your "guess" certainly makes sense.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to hack the existing posting routines to add this kind of functionality. I'll speak with the financial analyst to see how badly he feels that he needs this. It just might be one of those typical situations where a simple "Look, this is how the system works." is enough.