Options

RDLC frustration.......

boywonderboywonder Member Posts: 179
edited 2010-06-24 in NAV Three Tier
I am finding the RDLC a nightmare to try to learn ... in particular I can't understand why:

In the Page Header section I copied 2 boxes which contain the Document No label and data and then changed their Names and Values in the Properties window to point to another field & caption making sure that the syntax is identical (ie. =ReportItems!DocNo.Value changing to =ReportItems!CopyNo.Value)

The RDLC layout compiles fine but when I run it the report shows:

#Error

And I just cannot work out why! It seems the RDLC is overly complex and far too prone to error or maybe it is me....

Please HELP :? :?

Comments

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    You can't show data fields in the page header section. But you can place fields in textboxes in the body (invisible) and reference these fields through the ReportItems!textox.value kind of way in the page header.

Also try to use the Header of a tablebox .. you can place data fields (First(...)) in these ones.

In fact, I recommend a NAV2009 Reporting course if you're not familiar with RDLC. I followed the one from Plataan, which is great. You can also learn it yourself from the MS courseware, of course.

Good Luck!

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    By the way .. try to look at the default reports ... e.g. report 111 (top 10 customers)..

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    boywonderboywonder Member Posts: 179
    weird "feature" but your help is much appreciated - solved now thank you =D> =D> =D>
  • Options
    you're welcome :-)

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    myanilkumarmyanilkumar Member Posts: 108
    Hi All,

It's very appreciated if you all share any training Manuals for RDLC Reports.

Regards,
    Anil
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I attended the course from Plataan too and yes, it was very good even for me... there was lots to learn... 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    I attended the course from Plataan too and yes, it was very good even for me... there was lots to learn... 8)

I saw Steven yesterday .. and he indeed told me that he recently went over to give you the course ... :wink:. Speaking of a coincidence.. :mrgreen:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    FranklinFranklin Member Posts: 253
    Waldo can you see my post?

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=42184

Perhaps you know my problem quickly... :-k