Blocked Item alternative

pauldpauld Member Posts: 21
Hi community,

We have several products (wine) which are distinguished by product numbers such as these "6606/09", "6606/10". (The last part relates to the vintage).
We block vintages that are no longer sold. We usually get orders by fax with product numbers omitting the "/09" part. So when doing order entry, my collegues have
to guess the year (or look it up). This is time consuming and therefore expensive.

I looked into the code of codeunit Sales Info-Pane Management 7171 to find a way to extend the "Search Description" functionality. So a user types f.e. "6606" and the system returns the (FINDLAST) item of items matching the "6606" No.
Untill so far I'm unsuccessful in tracing the code responsible for this. Has anyone come accross a similar problem? Of a good suggestion how to accomplish this?

Thx!

Comments

• themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    A non programming solution would be to use the item cross reference number instead of the item number, you can show the column on the sales order line. when you type in the number such as 6606, if it is unique it will fill in the item number on the sales line, if there are more then one cross reference with that number it open a dialog box and allows you to select the one you want. You could edit the cross reference description to identify the blocked one, or when you block a part you could remove it's cross reference and it wouldn't show up at all.
  • pauldpauld Member Posts: 21
    Hmm thx, this seems to work and is also transparant for the user. However would it also be possible to do this programmatically I wonder?
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    pauld wrote:
    Hmm thx, this seems to work and is also transparant for the user. However would it also be possible to do this programmatically I wonder?
    I guess you could copy the programming in the cross reference functions, and duplicate everything.
  • pauldpauld Member Posts: 21
    Hi themave,

Once again thanks for your reponse.
    We ended up using the cross reference functionality. A stored procedure runs nightly to update the cross references.
    This solution was the most elegant.
    The gents of the order entry department are smiling again.

Now we continue with the autopdf invoice late payment reminder email module :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Paul