Access denied when running addinn

stigstig Member Posts: 8
edited 2010-07-01 in NAV Three Tier
I have made my first addinn and put the .dll files in the addinn catalog on the NAV server (its also the domain server).

This works fine when i am logged on with administrator. The Addon shows up on the Customer page.
If i use any other user(domain user) i get "Access denied" when i go into Customer page

If i put the .dll files on a different client computer(member of the domain) and log on with domain administrator it also works, but with a domain user i get the same error.

I suck in network and security rights, so i hope someone can help me with this

Comments

• AdrianAkersAdrianAkers Member Posts: 137
    Can this user log on to NAV 2009 forgetting the addin?

Are there any messages on the event logs on the client PC or on the middle tier server?
  • stigstig Member Posts: 8
    Hello.

This user can log on to NAV 2009 using window login. everything works perfect.

I am now logged on to the server using remote desktop with my test user(domain user) and i get the "Access denied" when i try to open customer page
    If i remove the addinn from page it works.

The only error/warning i can find i Application log (Event viewer) with the same date/time as when i run the test is this :

ERROR:

The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be accessed. Fix the errors and try the update again.

Context: Application 'Search', Catalog 'index file on the search server Search'

WARNING:

The start address <sts3s://remote.rowde.no:987/contentdbid={27bdfb09-6224-41ce-b5d0-10eef7167d6c}> cannot be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog 'Search'

Details:
    Access is denied. Verify that either the Default Content Access Account has access to this repository, or add a crawl rule to crawl this repository. If the repository being crawled is a SharePoint repository, verify that the account you are using has "Full Read" permissions on the SharePoint Web Application being crawled. (0x80041205)

I can see that this error/warning are popping up serveral times in the application log when i have not tested the error with the addinn.

IS there any other place i can check logs. Does Nav 2009 have its own log ?.
  • Christian_AbelnChristian_Abeln Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 42
    What does your Add-in do?
    From the error I guess that the error may come from the interaction it does with a service, and that this service is expecting different permissions than the standard user has, but which the administrator has.

I suggest you attach Visual Studio to the RTC, before you open the customer page with your Add-in. Set Visual Studio to break when exceptions are thrown. You might find the pace where the Add-in interacts with the service and identify the place in the Add-in code where you should implement exception handling. By this you can report the error and prevent the RTC from crashing.
    This would not fix the root cause, of cause. You have to find the right way to set up user permissions for your service call scenario and document this for your customers. But if the customers did not set up permissions as required by you scenario, they should get a friendly error message, instead of a crash. That error message you can provide by exception handling in your Add-in.
    “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Christian Abeln
    Program Manager Microsoft
    Dynamics NAV

blogs.msdn.com/cabeln/