Strange error: All variables have the same name

ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
I've got a 2,60 DB on SQL using 5,01 exe for a localisation project. When I've started to check it I've noticed a very strange error. In lots of objects (except tables) all variable names become same. For ex: when I look at form 61, I see 3 CreateCustLedgEntry variable. In fact it should be CreateCustLedgEntry, Navigate and Heading. The problem is only in names, Datatype and Subtypes are correct.

I think it could be something related with trying to hide source code in Navision. Client developers have no certain idea for the reason and guessing it could be related with language module.

Has anyone seen a case like that?

Regards,
Ufuk Asci
Pargesoft

Comments

• BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    ufuk wrote:
    I've got a 2,60 DB on SQL using 5,01 exe for a localisation project. When I've started to check it I've noticed a very strange error. In lots of objects (except tables) all variable names become same. For ex: when I look at form 61, I see 3 CreateCustLedgEntry variable. In fact it should be CreateCustLedgEntry, Navigate and Heading. The problem is only in names, Datatype and Subtypes are correct.

I think it could be something related with trying to hide source code in Navision. Client developers have no certain idea for the reason and guessing it could be related with language module.

Has anyone seen a case like that?

Regards,
    Unfortunately, I can confirm that there are tools that hide the source code...they are not supported by Microsoft and partners should not use them.
    To confirm that it is source code hiding...can you tell us if you can see the code in the triggers and if the same happens for other objects, too?
    can you compile the object?can you export it as text?if so, what do you see in the text file?
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
    Yeah, I know these tools. I've used one of it for testing purposes. But this is only my guess, I'm not sure if the real reason is that. Client developers do not know the reason and saying that maybe language module could caused this. (I don't think so)

Problem is only in variable names, all the other things are correct. (exported file structure, trigger codes etc.)
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, sometime importing the language layers into objects which have different structure than the original objects could lead to "renaming" of variables. I have seen this on Navision 2.60, because 2.60 is not multilanguage enabled by default, and if you try to add the language layer, it could mess all the code...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ufukufuk Member Posts: 514
    Thanks Kine, you're right. Importing the language layer caused this problem. Now client solved it and I can start merging:)
    Ufuk Asci
    Pargesoft