Nightly backups using HotCopy

sfreesesfreese Member Posts: 7
We are using Native NAV 5.1 and are going to be using Hotcopy for our nightly backups. I have created the following command to run the script:

hotcopy.exe source=D:\backupdb_1.fdb E:\backupdb_2.fdb destination="\\Avn-xxxxxxxxxx\NavisionBackup" description="This is the Navision Nightly Backup" servername=navision2 user=xxxx password=xxxxx dbtest=normal cc=yes nettype=tcp >hotcopylog.txt

My question is do I need to create a script for everynight of the week? My understanding is Hotcopy will overwrite any other files previously copied into the destination file. We plan on adding these to our Task Scheduler and then copied offsite by our Backup Solution. We will be keeping a minumum of 2 weeks and one end of the month backup.

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    We use winzip 11 & a batch file to complete the backup process.
    Our backup creates multiple files in one directory.
    You can setup winzip to lokk in a specific directory & zip all files into 1 and save it in a new directory
    mon/tues/wed/thurs/fri/etc.
    then the scheduler runas a batch job to delete the old files after that's all done.
    DEL /q F:\Backup~1\DailyB~1\*.*

see the steps here: I'm using dwbackup lite instead of hotcopy - but it will work the same.
    as you can see in step 4 winzip allows you to save by day of the week or day of the month - so if you need more backups than 1 week you can choose that.

hope it can shed some light on what you can do.
    http://savatage99.googlepages.com/MyBackup.pdf

ps. works perfectly - I get a email every day saying backup success!