Options

Database open: Server Name

FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
edited 2010-06-17 in SQL General
My question is: In the Database open Dialog, what exactly is the "Server Name" and could I use an alias instead of the real server name?

Let me explain the question:
(NAV 2009 SP1 Classic (30212), SQL Server 2005 Enterprise x64, no named instances, only 1 Sql server installed on the box)
A client of mine would like to take away the burden of changing the Server Name from the End Users in case the Primary Server goes down and the secondary has to take over (Client is still evaluating Log shipping / DB Mirroring, Clustering is currently out of scope). If this happens all users will need to change the servername in the client. Also on all NAS and on some 3rd party tools this needs to be changed.
The client would like to use some kind of alias on all clients accessing the DB which could be changed centrally if desaster strikes. Then the only thing left for the end users would be to restart the client and NAV would automatically connect to the secondary server.

The idea of the customer was to create a DNS alias which is used from the clients as the servername but this does not work. Example:
Primary Server Name: SERVER1
Secondary Server Name: SERVER2
DNS Alias: NAV (points to SERVER1)

Using NAV as a servername does work and the Nav Client connects to SERVER1. But when you reopen the database open dialog the name NAV has been replaced with SERVER1. So somehow the client was able to resolve the name NAV into SERVER1.

The second test was with a DNS host entry with the same IP as SERVER1 but gave the same result as test 1.

This is where my question comes in: What exactly is the "Server Name" and how could the above request be solved? A sql cluster would probably solve this, am I correct?

Thanks for your help.
Frank Dickschat
FD Consulting

Comments

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    You might try creating a SQL Alias (on each workstation) and pointing it to the common DNS entry.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    I tried the following:
    • Create a SQL alias (NAVTest1) and point it to the real server name (SERVER1).
      In the database open dialog as the server name NAVTest1 is used. NAV finds the DB server and connects ok. After the connection is made the database open dialog shows SERVER1 again.
    • Create a SQL alias (NAVTest2) and point it to the DNS alias NAV.
      In the database open dialog as the server name NAVTest2 is used. NAV finds the DB server and connects ok. After the connection is made the database open dialog shows SERVER1 again.

In both cases SSMS connects to the alias and shows the alias as the server name.

Obviously NAV still resolves the real server name somehow. Does anyone have any other idea?
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting