How to know Table Memory used up

Vineeth.RVineeth.R Member Posts: 121
Hi All,

I know there is a memory limitation (i think 4mb) in adding fields to a table, how can we know how much of the space is used up in a table. Is there any shortcut way other than summing up for each fields one by one.

Thanks
Vineeth
Thanks and Regards
Vineeth.R

Comments

• AdrianAkersAdrianAkers Member Posts: 137
    Normally I wait until I have a problem with a table size and then start to panic! #-o

To be honest if the tables are going above 4MB I'd start to look to see if they have been normalised properly...
  • matteo_montanarimatteo_montanari Member Posts: 189
    Vineeth.R wrote:
    Hi All,

I know there is a memory limitation (i think 4mb) in adding fields to a table, how can we know how much of the space is used up in a table. Is there any shortcut way other than summing up for each fields one by one.

Thanks
    Vineeth

Hi

The field table limit is 4Kbyte (4000Bytes for precision...).
    So a "code 20" is 20 bytes

You can use the "Field" virtual table and filter for your table.
    Skip disabled fields, flowfields and flowfilters and sum the "len" field.

Bye

Matteo
    Reno Sistemi Navision Developer
  • Vineeth.RVineeth.R Member Posts: 121
    Hi Matteo,

Thanks, the field table can help but for big tables its difficult to go and look for how many flowfields are there in it to skip. Any other easier way to calculate the table memory or to skip the flowfields and calculate the rest of the fields.
    Thanks and Regards
    Vineeth.R
    Vineeth.R wrote:
    Hi Matteo,

Thanks, the field table can help but for big tables its difficult to go and look for how many flowfields are there in it to skip. Any other easier way to calculate the table memory or to skip the flowfields and calculate the rest of the fields.

Difficult??? :?
    Local variable "Field" of type rec and subtype Field

GetTableDefinitionSize(TableID : Integer) result : Integer
    Field.SETRANGE(TableNo, TableID);
    Field.SETRANGE(Class, Field.Class::normal);
    Field.SETRANGE(Enabled,TRUE);
    IF Field.FINDSET THEN
      REPEAT
        result += Field.Len;
      UNTIL Field.NEXT = 0;

do you need the "table definition size" or the size of the table on database?
    Local variable "TableInformation" of type rec and subtype "Table Information"

GetTableSize(TableID : Integer;Company : Text[30]) : Integer
    IF TableInformation.GET(Company, TableID) THEN
      EXIT(TableInformation."Size (KB)");

bye

matteo
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    @Matteo, your math is wrong. Its more complex than that to calculate how much pace a field uses. I have posted numerous times with the formulas. :wink:

@Vineeth, you should never reach the limit. If you even get close to it it means that you have a badly designed system that needs to be redesigned and done properly. Even if you work out the maximum and use all that up, then you are pretty much guaranteed that you wont ever be able to do an upgrade.

Re-look at the code you have written and redo it.
    David Singleton
    @Matteo, your math is wrong. Its more complex than that to calculate how much pace a field uses. I have posted numerous times with the formulas. :wink:

@Vineeth, you should never reach the limit. If you even get close to it it means that you have a badly designed system that needs to be redesigned and done properly. Even if you work out the maximum and use all that up, then you are pretty much guaranteed that you wont ever be able to do an upgrade.

Re-look at the code you have written and redo it.

Hi david

mmm

i found this thread

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27973&hilit=field+size

very interesting! :)

but... Decimal on c/side database is 12 Bytes but reading
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187746.aspx
    Decimal (38,20) is 17 Bytes

Sql Server page/cluster limit si 8Kbytes (nav reduce this to 4kbyte for compatibility with C/Side database via FBK)... but the table definition size can change its size depending of database engine...

Nav assume that his masimum4kByte record will be correctly stored on SQL because the SQL Page size is 8Kbyte and then 12Bytes or 17 Bytes isn't a problem?

Thank you

Matteo
    As I said it is all irrelevant anyway. The correct thing to do is to fix the errors in the design of the database, not keep working around them.
    David Singleton
    edited 2010-06-11
    As I said it is all irrelevant anyway. The correct thing to do is to fix the errors in the design of the database, not keep working around them.

i completly agree with you:

My last question was more "academic" than resolve the problem signaled by Vineeth (already resolved by your post).

Bye

Matteo
  • AdrianAkersAdrianAkers Member Posts: 137
    Oh... So similar to what I said... :lol:
    To be honest if the tables are going above 4MB I'd start to look to see if they have been normalised properly...
    Oh... So similar to what I said... :lol:

yep :thumbsup:
    David Singleton