When do I have to perform a Security Sync?

markodrummermarkodrummer Member Posts: 22
Hi All - over my many years working with Nav I have never received a straight answer to the question: "With what kind of changes requires a full Security Sync to be performed?"

I know making simple Report, Dataport, XMLport changes do not require this. Is there a simple rule of thumb? I.E If you change any code you must sync.

What about adding fields to tables, adding fields to forms, altering code on a Table or Form.

Thanks Everyone! Looking forward to your input!

Comments

• AdrianAkersAdrianAkers Member Posts: 137
    For us our rules would be;

+ Adding new users
    + Removing users
    + Changing Roles and Permissions
    + Adding new objects that require changes to Roles and Permissions

To be honest we have always joked that unless you are using the "Enhanced" security model then for us synchronising logins has always been referred to as "have you tried turning it off and back on again"... As in, we have never been really clear what it does unless you are using "Enhanced" security... :D
  • markodrummermarkodrummer Member Posts: 22
    For us our rules would be;

+ Adding new users
    + Removing users

To be honest we have always joked that unless you are using the "Enhanced" security model then for us synchronising logins has always been referred to as "have you tried turning it off and back on again"... As in, we have never been really clear what it does unless you are using "Enhanced" security... :D

Thanks for the info. Were on Nav 4.0 SP2 and as far as I know, you can't adjust the security model within that version.

So I guess the better way to ask the question is: If you are stuck on the Enhanced Security Model, what changes require a Security Sync.
  • AdrianAkersAdrianAkers Member Posts: 137
    All of what I already said I believe... \:D/
    Understood that:

+ Adding new users
    + Removing users

Will require security syncs regardless of version.

I know there is additional needs for Enhanced Security model as i've made changes and seen odd things happen without performing a full sync. Even with users exiting and going back in.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    That's why most experience NAV implementor will suggest you to use Simple rather than Enhanced.

The rule for sync is: Everytime you make changes to the user rules and permissions
    Of course I would rather be on a Simple security model - however it's not possible in Nav 4.0 SP2 I believe.
    Alex Chow wrote:
    That's why most experience NAV implementor will suggest you to use Simple rather than Enhanced.

The rule for sync is: Everytime you make changes to the user rules and permissions

Question still isn't answered. What changes cause me to do a sync in an Enhanced environment? Again a few examples:

1. Adding Code to a Form
    2. Adding Code to a Table
    3. Adding new Fields to a Table
    4. Adding Code to a Codeunit
    5. Adding Keys to a table

This is just a few...

Thanks!
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    No, the question is answered.

Rule of thumb: You sync when you make changes to the user roles and permissions

Anything else, you do not need to sync.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Rule is: changes in permissions AND changes on SQL tables (SIFT, table structure...)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    Rule is: changes in permissions AND changes on SQL tables (SIFT, table structure...)

Great! Thanks for the info. It's always been understood that a change to permission needs a sync - good to know that table alterations as well.

Many thanks!
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    To be precise, this is from the official documentation (Security Synchronization in Navision 4.0 SP3.doc):
    When to Synchronize the Security System

The Navision security system must be synchronized with SQL Server every time you:
    • Change the security model.
    • Change the users, permissions or roles that have been created in Navision.
    • Restore a backup.
    • Convert a database.
    • Modify an object in the database
    Every time you modify an object in the database or modify the permissions that an object has to other database objects, you must correspondingly update all the roles and users who have permission to access this object and then you must synchronize these roles and users.
    • Update the executable files.
    • Update the application.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Just upgrade to Sp3 executables and switch to standard.
    David Singleton