New Document in Item Tracking

BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
Hi everyone, this is my third topic about item tracking, and for the third time, before starting a huge headbang against the item tracking managment, i want to ask you if someone of you have already implemented it.
This is a huge modification, if someone have an idea to avoid it, i will be very happy, otherwise i'll go for it.

We need to create a new document, header&lines(let's say that lines table ID is 55555), that have to be included in the standard item tracking management. This modification will then include the creation of reservation entry/tracking specification with source type = 55555 (the source subtype is only one), the deletion of the lines, the lookup management of the serial no., and their availability (the serial nos. in this new document will have the same behaviour of a sales order)

I know this is not enough for a deep analysis, but it's what i know about the process up to now.
Thanks in avdance
-Mirko-
"Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
My Blog

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    We did this. All of our items are tracked by serial no., so SNALL on the item cards and Specific costing method. We have separate document / line tables to handle the renting of items. Essentially a holding place for reserved goods while they are out on rental. It ties in to shipments and receipts, accounts receivable, etc.

Anyway, we also have our own reservation screen, so we don't use the Item Tracking Lines form too much. It's really just a mess to modify. These are the Codeunits I ended up modifying:
    99000830 Create Reserv. Entry
    99000831 Reservation Engine Mgt.
    99000845 Reservation Management

The Source Type field in Reservation Entry and Tracking Specification can just be set to the table number of the lines. The rentals code of course has its own separate codeunits for Reserve, Posting, etc.

Because a rental is basically a sale without removing the inventory from our books I duplicated the reservation code for sales lines. When the shipment posts, instead of relieving inventory it moves the item to a virtual location. When the return posts it is moved back to the original location.

Anyway, you are right, it was a good amount of work and a TON of testing. Hope the comments help a little bit on where to start and what to look for. I'll be happy to answer any other questions you might have.
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    Thanks, as we've already modified the standard item tracking lines page (yes, it's a mess but i made it work), i thought about simplifing the modification, i'll make the document page, and i'll link to a "ghost" sales order with the same no. then, i'll link the lines to the ghost sales order lines, and i'll show the reservation entries linked to that ghost order.
    Just like the warehouse shipments!
    thank a lot you for the info, anyway...
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog