Optimization

soni_alsoni_al Member Posts: 32
Hello Experts,
We want to implement Nav, in my group there are some companies, some of 2 of them has the same structure 2 others has different structure.
For each company i there are 10 users that work all the day and work only in the only company.
But i have others users that work for all the companies, some of them only in reading the data for reporting.
Haw can i optimize the licences that i want to buy.

Can i buy and use one license for all the concurrent users that are in the server?
And if no which you think that is best solution.
Best Regards.

Comments

• jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    In all the installations that I've seen it's been licencsed for the maximum number of concurrent users in the whole database.

It is possible to have multiple companies in the same database. Assume you have 10 users - 5 users only work in Company A and 3 Users work in Company A, Company B and Company C, and 2 users that work in Company C. Then you should only need 10 user licenses.

However this above scenario assumes that the users who access multiple companies access them each 1 at a time (i.e. they work in company A and then switch to Company B). If the users need to access 2 companies at the same time then they will have to open up 2 NAV sessions (one pointed to Company A and one pointed to Company B). This will consume 2 user licenses.

A few other considerations...if some of the users are only looking at data and reports then you may want to use DCO licensing for some of the users and just have them run SQL Reporting Services reports against the data. All the comments above are based on things I have seen in NAV 5.0 SP1 and NAV 2009 in the classis mode - I`m not sure if it`s the same with NAV 2009 RTC.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • soni_alsoni_al Member Posts: 32
    Can i instal tow databases in the same server, with one licence, and the licence with the nuber of concurent users that is enoug for tow databases, if no wihic is the problem.

Thank you.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    soni_al wrote:
    Can i instal tow databases in the same server, with one licence, and the licence with the nuber of concurent users that is enoug for tow databases, if no wihic is the problem.

Thank you.

There is a granule called per server licensing, you need to look at this with your Navision partner.
    David Singleton