Restore native database from USB or C:\

tonisalatonisala Member Posts: 10
Hello,

I have a question which is only for curiosity. When I try to restore a Native database 4.0SP3 from a USB disk the process stops after having read any of the .fbk and asks me to place the 'new' disk. If I copy all the .fbk to somewhere in the hard drive (C:\Temp for instance) the process finishes without asking me anything. Is there a way to 'cheat' Navision to think that a big USB disk behaves like an internal disk ?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    I am only guessing, but I think it has to do with space, your usb disk probably just holds the backup files, and Navision must be using some temp files during hte restore..

I use an 80 gig removable usb drive and have restored backups from it without the warning your getting.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    This is actually a left over from the DOS version of Navision. Though it was used in the 1.xx versions of Financials also. Basically you had the option to make backups to Hard Disk or Floppy. The only difference, was if you said Floppy it forced the prompt to allow you to remove the floppy and put in another one. This also worked for CDs and now DVDs.

I assume if you unplug and plug back in the USB stick then it works? If so then the OS is presenting the USB stick as a removable media. Where as a USB hard drive is presented as a normal hard drive.

probably if you look at properties it will say "Removable".
    David Singleton
  • tonisalatonisala Member Posts: 10
    Hello again,

Thank you for the answers. I forgot to mention one important (and fun) thing: The disk is hardware encrypted yet after having placed the key to unlock the disk, it should work as a 'normal' USB disk. As themave says, restoration goes smooth with 'normal' USB disks (I hadn't had any problems before with USB disks). The disk is a 320GB, 50% is free and backup takes 8 .fbk so backup takes less than 16GB so it's plenty of room to make any temporal files. As I said before, it's just for curiosity as I can restore the backup without any further problems.

Thanks a lot,

TONI SALA.