Purpose of "Bill-to\Pay-to no." field in the General Journal

dilladilla Member Posts: 31
Hi Experts,

I am not able to understand the purpose of the "Bill-to\Pay-to no." field in the General Journals. I always thought that, when i raise an Invoice via, the General journals, with Account type as Vendor and giving the "Vendor A" in the Account No. field and when i enter "Vendor B" on the "Bill-to\Pay-to no.", the Invoice will be generated against "Vendor B" and NOT on "Vendor A". But guess,am wrong in my understanding, because when am doing this, "Vendor A" is getting hit and not "Vendor B". So my question is, what is the purpose of having the "Bill-to\Pay-to no." on the General journal form ???

My databse version : 3.7 , but i have tested this in 5.1 also, but the behaviour does not vary.

Can you please help me understand the purpose of this field ?? or Why does this fucntionality not work in the way it does while generating an Invoice from the Payables module ?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• chengalasettyvsraochengalasettyvsrao Member Posts: 711
    dilla wrote:

I am not able to understand the purpose of the "Bill-to\Pay-to no." field in the General Journals. I always thought that, when i raise an Invoice via, the General journals, with Account type as Vendor and giving the "Vendor A" in the Account No. field and when i enter "Vendor B" on the "Bill-to\Pay-to no.", the Invoice will be generated against "Vendor B" and NOT on "Vendor A". But guess,am wrong in my understanding, because when am doing this, "Vendor A" is getting hit and not "Vendor B". So my question is, what is the purpose of having the "Bill-to\Pay-to no." on the General journal form ???

This field plays the important role when you are booking the invoice through Purchase order / Invoice form.
    If the see the Purchase -Post code unit , ID - 90. , you can find the below code.

GenJnlLine.INIT;

GenJnlLine."Sell-to/Buy-from No." := "Buy-from Vendor No.";
    GenJnlLine."Bill-to/Pay-to No." := "Pay-to Vendor No.";

When you are booking the invoice through General Journal at that time you need not to select the any value in the field
    Bill-to\Pay-to no.

I suggest you go through the Code units - 90 , 12 , you can understand.
  • dilladilla Member Posts: 31
    Hello,

Thanks for you responce.

I do understand the importance of this field when we raise an invoice via, the Paybales or Receivables module. But, My question is "What is the utility of this field in the (General Journals)" ?

You say: we have to leave it 'blank',then why keep that field in the journal ,if it has no utility?

Regards.
  • kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    The help says "This field is filled in by the program and cannot be changed"

So I guess it should not be visible in the journal...

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.
    Hi Kitik,

Yes even i have read this Help description. But it makes NO Sense with the utility prespective.
    When you look at the usage of this field in the General Journals i am not able to figure out one reason to have that field in the table 81.

Regards.
  • chengalasettyvsraochengalasettyvsrao Member Posts: 711
    dilla wrote:

Yes even i have read this Help description. But it makes NO Sense with the utility prespective.
    When you look at the usage of this field in the General Journals i am not able to figure out one reason to have that field in the table 81.

I think that you did not understand the concept of the general Journal.

What ever the Transactions you post through Order / Invoice / Credit memo , first system will copy data and update in the General Journal. At that it will use the Field to update the ledger entries , when Buy from vendor No , pay Vendor No differs.

If you dont have the Field in the General Journal How system will update the Ledger entry based on the Pay - to vendor No when it differes from Buy from vendor No.
  • kitikkitik Member Posts: 230
    When you post any document, NAV creates the journal lines needed. I haven't gone throught the code, but I guess the system uses the field at some point.

If the field appears on the Journal form it looks like a mistake or that someone forgot to remove it after a test or something like this.

Salut!
    Laura Nicolàs
    Author of the book Implementing Dynamics NAV 2013
    Cursos Dynamics NAV (spanish) : http://clipdynamics.com/ - A new lesson released every day.
    Hi Roa,

That is perfect, i understand this, the field(Bill-to\Pay-to no.) is used purely for Accounting purpose on the general journal. it is used as a place holder for the data posted from the payable modules before the ledger entries are created.

Thanks for the help.

I also appreciate help from Kitik.