Options

Multiple Menu Suites in the RTC

Nav_NoobNav_Noob Member Posts: 25
edited 2010-07-07 in NAV Three Tier
Hello,

I'm developing an extension to an existing NAV integration but I'm having trouble setting up my menus in the RTC. My integration will be supplied in two FOB files that can be installed separately, one that customizes the Sales & Marketing module and another that customizes the Purchase module. What I'd like my menu to look like is the following:

If the Sales & Marketing FOB is installed then...
NEW MENU
>Company Sub-menu
*** Company Setup Form
*** Other Company Level Utilities...
>Sales & Marketing Sub-menu
*** Sales & Marketing Setup Form
*** Other Sales & Marketing Level Utilities...

If the Purchase FOB is installed then...
NEW MENU
>Company Sub-menu
*** Company Setup Form
>Purchase Sub-menu
*** Purchase Setup Form
*** Other Purchase Level Utilities

If both FOB files are installed then...
NEW MENU
>Company Sub-menu
*** Company Setup Form
>Sales & Marketing Sub-menu
*** Sales & Marketing Setup Form
*** Other Sales & Marketing Level Utilities...
>Purchase Sub-menu
*** Purchase Setup Form
*** Other Purchase Level Utilities

I was able to achieve this functionality in the classic client by creating a menu with ID 59 that contained only the shared menu items (company sub-menu). I exported the menu, changed its id to 58, and added the Sales & Marketing menu items. I then imported the menu 59 and added the Purchase menu items to it. This works great in the classic client. I exported the sales menu as Sales.FOB and the purchase menu as Purch.FOB. When I import only the sales FOB, the company and sales menus display. If I import only the purchase FOB, the company and purchase menus display. If I import both FOB files then the company, sales and purchase menus display.

I tried following the same steps with the RTC using menu ids 1059 and 1058 but I'm getting some different results that are kind of hard to follow. If I import the Sales.FOB only, then the I see the Company and Sales menus. But if I import Purch.FOB then I see all the menus (company, sales, and purchase). Does anyone have any suggestions to achieve this functionality in the RTC? Is there any Microsoft standard or best practice for trying to achieve something like this?

Thanks a lot to anyone who has any suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    veerendraveerendra Member Posts: 66
    Your question felt interesting to me, so I followed the process you mentioned and found no problems in it...

When I import Sales.fob, I can see the sales related changes.
    When I import purchase.fob, I can see only purchase related changes.

Check the attachments...Please double check and let me know if there is something wrong in my steps...
    Veerendra Ch.
    http://midynav.blogspot.com/ (Microsoft Dynamics Navision)
  • Options
    smalkmussmalkmus Member Posts: 18
    veerendra wrote:
    Your question felt interesting to me, so I followed the process you mentioned and found no problems in it...

When I import Sales.fob, I can see the sales related changes.
    When I import purchase.fob, I can see only purchase related changes.

Check the attachments...Please double check and let me know if there is something wrong in my steps...

Thanks for the reply! Are you able to see the menu items in the RTC? I am also able to see them correctly in the object designer but when I open the RTC I get some different results. I see the sales menu in the RTC if I import the sales FOB. If I import the purchase FOB only then I see the purchase menu in the object designer but I don't see it in the RTC. I then compiled the purchase menu in the object designer and poof, it shows up in the RTC. Is it reasonable to expect a customer to compile a menu after they've imported it? With the cronus license, you are not able to compile imported menus.

I went back to my development environment and compiled the menus and exported the FOB files again. After doing so, when I import only the Purch.FOB then I see the correct menus in both the object designer and the RTC. However, when I import only the Sales.FOB then I see the correct menu items in the object designer (Company and Sales) but when I open the RTC, I see all the menu items (Company, Sales, and Purchase). Of course, when I try to select any of the purchase menu items I get errors because those pages are not included in the Sales.FOB file. Now if I compile the Sales menu and reopen the RTC, I see the correct menu items.

So, am I doing something wrong with these steps? If so what can I do differently? If not, is it reasonable to ask my customers to compile the menus after they have imported my FOB files? Do I have any alternatives besides creating my menu items in separate menus? Thanks again for anyone bothering to read all this, I know it's a lot of text.
  • Options
    Sorry to bump my own topic but I still haven't found a resolution to this problem. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I might be doing wrong or know of any alternatives that I can try in order to deploy menu suites in different FOB files that each share one sub-menu but also add different sub-menus? How bad would it be to ask the end user to compile the menus after importing my FOB files? Would they even have access to it? Thanks again for any suggestion that anyone might have.
  • Options
    I worked around this issue by supplying only the purchase menu with the purchase component, only supplying the sales menu with the sales component, and then supplying an additional menu which contains the combined menus that should be imported only if both components are imported. Not ideal but it works.