A few questions on NAV 2009

seckpinseckpin Member Posts: 57
I have a few questions about NAV 2009 and hope the NAV gurus here can enlighten me.

Basically, one of our business units is looking at replacing their financial system and is now considering NAV vs. AX. So far, there are a lot of factors against NAV. I do not have any preference for either even though I work on NAV and do not know AX. I think the important thing is to choose the right fit for the business, so we should present the correct facts for the business units to make the right decision.

A few major factors that are against NAV (claimed by an "expert" from Gartner Resea) are as follows:

(1) It was claimed that the upper limit of concurrent users for NAV is 200, after which the response time will degrade and the system will simply not work. It was said that typical NAV implementation is <50. I am not sure if this is referring to the older version, or even applicable to NAV 2009. Does anyone here know what is the "upper limit" of concurrent users for NAV 2009? There is no such recommendation from MS at all and so i am not aware of such limit.

(2) There used to be a "localised" Cost Accounting module and it was claimed that this module was dropped in NAV 2009 due to lack of demand. Is it true that this is no longer available in any of the NAV 2009 versions?

(3) It was said that NAV is not designed to cope with a multi-legal entity or multi-country environment. It has been designed for single instance, single county, single legal entity environments and has very limited consolidation/intercompany capabilities, while AX has a full consolidation facility. I do not know how AX works, and I am not sure the validity of this claim because we can create multi companies to represent the multi entity, but of course for multi country then we need to create multi databases (i.e. instance), which does affirm the claim. Do the gurus here agree?

(4) For NAV 2009, will there be any issues in handling a yearly volume of about 72,000 customers, 700,000 customer invoices, 70,000 supplier invoices, 40,000 Fixed Assets, and 5 million general ledger transactions? It was claimed NAV cannot cope with such volume without encountering performance problems.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    Where did you hear this?

From MS sales guy?
  • seckpinseckpin Member Posts: 57
    Oops sorry, i didn't notice the word was incomplete in my post...

These were claims of someone from Gartner Research who is supposedly to be an acknowledged expert on financial applications. As he is a neutral party and from a recognised organisation, his words carry a lot of weight to the business unit, but i was having doubts on some of his assertions.