No cost posting to G/L needed

ndnndn Member Posts: 19
Hi All,

I am into an implementation for NAV 5.0 (SP1) with LS. Need your inputs for one requirement.

The client does not need the Inventory cost posting from to the G/L i.e. Automatic Cost posting is going to be unticked and the Post Cost to G/L will also not be used.

The client will run the Adjust Cost-item entries batch job at the end of the month and then take the inventory value from Inventory valuation report and post the cost to the G/L manually by way of a Journal Voucher.

The conditions that are put forward is:

- The cost, if any, that arise subsequently through Item Charges etc., pertaining to the closed month, should be posted to the first day of the succeeding month.
- Later on there should not be any addition to the cost after the period if closed (I am not sure if this can be done through Inventory Periods or Allow Posting from/to in the G/L Setup) so that the auditor can verify the Cost from the Inventory Valuation report to the respective G/L Accounts

Tried searching for this in the forums but couldnt get the exact answer. Thanks in advance for the help

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Not sure what your question is.

If the client is taking the results of the report and posting it manually why are they not simply posting to GL and saving a whole lot of manual work? Also manually entering these figures means you can create differences between the GL and the valuation report - which is what you are trying to avoid, whilst letting the system do it under controlled business processes means there should never be a difference.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • ndnndn Member Posts: 19
    Hi Adam,

Thanks for your suggestion. I agree with you completely. In fact I have been trying to offer the same suggestion, but it seems like for reporting reasons and for the purpose of eliminating the number of entries created in the inventory related accounts, this is needed.

Just wanted to know what could be the scenarios which can create differences between the Inventory balances and the G/L postings subsequent to the running of the ACIE at the month end.

I have tested the results yesterday with the Inventory closing period and I hope to convince the client with the output. Will keep this post updated.

Thanks.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Why not post inventory cost per posting group.
    David Singleton
  • ndnndn Member Posts: 19
    Hi David,

That is a very good suggestion. I will try and make some test entries to see if this can be suggested to my client.