User table permission error when creating a new database

thetallblokethetallbloke Member Posts: 66
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to create a new Dynamics NAV database, but I keep getting the following error message:

You do not have permission to read the 'User' Table.
Contact your system administrator to have your permissions changed

I'm using NAV 2009 SP1
I'm a Local Admin on the machine
I have dbo privileges in SQL server and I have the sa password.. I've tried using Database Authentication using the "sa" user, and also using integrated security and my domain credentials.. both times I get the same error..

I'm sure this is a newbie problem... but if you have a suggestion or if there is some reading material to point me in the direction of that would be helpful also..

Thanks
I'm not crazy !!! Just ask my toaster...

Comments

• rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    This is an RTC problem. You have the flag "Enable for Microsoft Dynamics Server" flag (really "Enable Service Tier") turned on but the DotNet versions you have installed (if any) are not exactly the ones required. Because of this the piece of DotNet code that translates the objects from C/Side to C# crashes with this ... error message.

You can either spend a couple of hours installing all the prereqs or turn off the flag.

The Flag is on the Options tab of the create database dialog, bottom right corner.
  • thetallblokethetallbloke Member Posts: 66
    Hi Robert,

Thanks for your speedy response...

I saw the option that you mentioned, but wasn't sure what would happen if I unticked this.... so I didn't... But your post pointed me in the direction of the .Net framework... First I tried uninstalling and reinstalling .net framework 3.5 ...
    that didn't work, so I uninstalled the framework again and then uninstalled the Classic client...

After reinstalling it (and .net framework 3.5sp1 as part of the install), I can now create databases without issues...

I have Visual Studio 2008, Visual Studio 2010 and .Net Framework 4 on the machine too.. I'm not sure what order they were installed in; Nav then VS2010 or vice versa... I'm wondering if VS clobbered part of the required framework or something...

This all might be completely wrong, but my machine is now working ok... I'm yet to try out VS, but Nav is fine which is all I'm worried about today... :D

Thanks for steering me in the right direction..
  • rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    I was wrong about NAV and VS2010 :x

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=41092
  • thetallblokethetallbloke Member Posts: 66
    don't worry... even the best of us make mistakes... :D

Thanks for the link, I read it and the blog post by Claus..

I guess for now, I'll save my Nav Reports design for VS2008 and all other .Net dev for 2010...