Navision Attain 3.70 on Windows 7.00

Big_DBig_D Member Posts: 207
Hi Navision World

I've run Navision 3.70 on a XP SP3 version for years but now have a new laptop with Windows 7.0. Installed the Client okay but when I run the Navision Client nothing happens. Tried setting an XP SP3 compatibility mode and an administrator settings but still nowt!

Thanks for your anticipated help :D
Big D signing off!

Comments

• kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    I think for 3.7 you will need a virtual pc.
  • Big_DBig_D Member Posts: 207
    Hi Kapamarou

Thanks for that - I thought as much :) !
    Big D signing off!
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You can use the XP Mode under WIndows 7 (it is optional feature of Win7), it is virtual machine but with better integration into the system (shortcuts in W7 start menu, desktop-less application running in the virtual pc etc.).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Hi Kine

Sorry about the delayed reply - yes I loaded VMWare - XP Pro - 3.70 Client and bingo - normal services have resumed :D !

Cheers and thanks to you both
    Big D signing off!
  • zappyzappy Member Posts: 15
    What about export to MS Excel with Excell Buffer from the XP Mode.
    Does it work? Thanks
    Tomas Zadrapa
    Hi Zappy

Thanks for the reply - no I didn't think of trying that one alright - I converted 3.70 - 2009 R2 that certainly did the trick alright :D!
    Big D signing off!
  • ResenderResender Member Posts: 119
    Ok, I got a simelar setup/problem

I have a nav attain 3.6, installed on Microsofts free Windows Xp virtual PC and have acces to the client via virtual application. I'm working on a copy of our dev database which is located on the hard disc of the laptop, and is not within the virtual machine.

Problem I have now is that when I work from home I'm on a diffrent network from when I work from the office, which results in error 59 wrong network. Forcing me to close navision reopen the database and waste time waiting for it to free up the blocks, is there a way to avoid this.
    Greatly recommend upgrading to 2009 even if it is just an executable upgrade :D !

Good luck
    Big D signing off!
    I can't upgrade since the client we are working for is still using 3.6, and despite our requests they won't upgrade for another 3 years, when an upgrade was planned.
    In the meantime in the live enviroment we got clean-up process's running every weekend.
    Three years - sounds like you need to change your solution centre or you referring to your work place! 3.60 is a very old version - time for that update!
    Big D signing off!
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Big D wrote:
    Three years - sounds like you need to change your solution centre or you referring to your work place! 3.60 is a very old version - time for that update!

For some companies upgrading can be a huge undertaking. Navision partners often just look at changing some executables, upgrading some objects and converting some data. In the real world though a change like this might affect hundreds of users, many of which don't even touch Navision. There may be SQL server upgrades that need to run on new operating systems that need new hardware that is no longer compatible with the old citrix that needs to be upgraded as well. Then office doesn't work, so even though only a small percentage of users use Navision and only a sub set of those integrate to excel, all the hundreds of users all have to upgrade to keep things compatible.

The killer is that you have to upgrade most of this big bang style. SQL2000+Nav3.6+Office6+WinServer2000+Citrix etc etc -> SQL2008+Nav2009+Office2007+WinServer2008+Citrix. And it needs to be either done with VMWare and lots of visualization and lots of management to coordinate it all, or everything gets upgraded at once.

In the end, the Navision part of the company may be so small that they don't even have a say in when the next upgrade window will be.
    David Singleton
    From what I heard and this might not be a 100% accurate is that their is an 'in-house' project running to replace 3.6 in 2015