What consideration or changes we must make to stop

mcaverlymcaverly Member Posts: 26
Hi All,

I am working to change the tables codes and code units to stop sales-lines date fields; such as shipment date, Planned Shipment Date, etc... being populated/changed at all by sale header change(s) or sale lines being created or changed.

Will my change(s) create any problems or do I have anything to concern or take care to ensure no advert change(s) to system or business validation?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Why?
    David Singleton
  • mcaverlymcaverly Member Posts: 26
    Right now, whenever any changes are made to sales header date fields or to sales line fields; such as back sale, quantity change, etc... many sale line fields are updated automatically... Our business does not work the way as these automatic updates. We want to change the code of tables and code unit to stop them from changing/setting sale lines date fields.

Thanks.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Do you use all the sales line date fields?
    Is there some particular value you're trying to save like an entry date or something?
    mcaverly wrote:
    Right now, whenever any changes are made to sales header date fields or to sales line fields; such as back sale, quantity change, etc... many sale line fields are updated automatically... Our business does not work the way as these automatic updates. We want to change the code of tables and code unit to stop them from changing/setting sale lines date fields.

Thanks.

Why?
    David Singleton
    It's the way our business runs.
    If you want help to make Navision work for you, you are going to need to explain why you need to do this. If you can't explain why, then there reason is probably not as well defined as you think it is. Or if the reason you can't say why is that its a secret, then I can't see how you can get help on a public forum.

All I can do is answer your original question:
    mcaverly wrote:
    Will my change(s) create any problems

YES!
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    There's a ton of business logic that is based upon these dates.

I do suggest you let us know the real reason they shouldn't be filled in. "It's the way our business runs" is about as helpful to the problem as someone saying "Navision is broken. Fix it.". Without an understanding of the issue it's very difficult to provide an answer.

Good luck.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    if you need the original dates Then just use the Doc Date on the sales header - else create a new date field on the sales line and use that for whatever date need you have and ignore the other standard date fields.
    Thanks all for your response.

My company would like to have those Shipment Date, Planned Shippment Date, Promised Shipment Date to have the initial value as blank when the order line first entered, or after the partial shipment was posted to the order line. Another thing, per the sytem we have acquired, these 3 fields always been updated to have the same value, if any change(s) made to either Shipment Date or Promise Shipment Date. Are these updates standard per Navision?

Thanks again for your response.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I highly suggest you resolve these issues through training instead of modification. Highly...
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Alex Chow wrote:
    I highly suggest you resolve these issues through training instead of modification. Highly...

Alex is correct. Again, you didn't provide a business reason for needing the change. Just that you don't want the fields filled in for some reason. Go to your NAV Partner, talk to them about what you want to do. If they are a good partner they will set you up with some training. If they aren't, they will just blindly make the change and you will probably be up a creek.
    Of course, we could easily turn to our vendor for these easy changes (to vendor), provided that we would pay them for their services at the cut-throat rate of more than $125/hour.

I have known these changes, if done, must be meticulously checked and double-checked to verify and be sure the system business logic not been broken, shortchanged, or crippled by any manner. Otherwise, I would be up to my neck in my own... stuff!

I hoped that someone would have done these changes themselves so I could learn from their experiences or tips to cut short the learning curves and the time to go over to those few million character codes/programs from at least 2 tables and 10 code units (the byte size of the code and definition of the Sales Line table alone is roughly 500,000 characters; more than 32000 lines) to figure out what has to be done.

Thanks all for your response.