Options

Testing Role Centers / RTC Best Practices

sym32onesym32one Member Posts: 8
edited 2010-06-02 in NAV Three Tier
Just looking for some feedback...

When testing a Role Center what id the best method?

Opening a Role Center with this command: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe" -profile:"SELECTED ROLE CENTER", is for viewing the Role Center...

Opening a Role Center with this command: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe" -profile:"SELECTED ROLE CENTER" -configure, is for merely configuring the Role Center...

When I really want to see all implications, security, design, etc., of a Role Center I use a test log in, using the security roles, and permissions that I would assign to an actual user of that ole Center.

To make it really accommodating I actually have a PC just for that login... right next to the one I use for design, seems to work well :wink:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    nikolaknikolak Member Posts: 20
    Here are few tips :).

The best approach is to open a Role Center as the role that you are designing it for. Set the permissions for this role in Classic Client. If the Role Center is not opening because of permissions that could be a problem :).

You can set the profile for your user under CRONUS International Ltd./Departments/Administration/Application Setup/RoleTailored Client/Profiles in order to save some typing. Or create a batch file, it is the same.

Configuration is good in order to save some typing of the CAL Code, but verify if the permissions are set for normal user.

Depending on the configuration, test that user is able to open the main set of actions depending on a permissions.

End users are mostly using navigation pane and action pane. Place navigation links that are mostly used first, the same goes for Action Pane items. A good suggesstion is to verify that user has permissions for actions and links that are placed here.

A good test as well is try loading Role Center Parts with some data to verify if it loads with assigned permissions.