ERP vs. BI Reporting

ALopez27ALopez27 Member Posts: 42
We just implemented NAV 2009 Classic, previously we no ERP system in place, we are struggling with defining our reporting strategy, managment is pushing to do all NAV reporting outside NAV (BI4Dynamics, Jet, etc.), however, it seems to me that we need to make a distinction between which reports would make sense to have in NAV, it seems to me that operational type of reports (open prod. orders, purch. orders, quality tracing, etc) should be done in NAV reports/screens, I guess it does not make sense to me to go outside NAV to run these.

I also understand that for sales analysis type of reporting it would make sense to do these using such tools as BI4dynamics, SSRS, etc., can someone tell me how you handle this or what has worked for you? THanks.

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    We currently run a combination of things: NAV Reporting, BI / SQL Reporting Services, and Jet Reports.

Anything that needs to be real time we do in NAV.

Anything that has really complex calculations or uses a lot of tables or can be a day behind in terms of data, we do in BI (nightly data warehouse update). That way the reports are not a drain on the system (100 - 150 concurrent users).

Jet Reports is used by our accounting department to quickly make custom reports and slice and dice the data in certain ways.

Hope that helps.