Differentiate between manual entry and Scanner entry

sri.tech23sri.tech23 Member Posts: 41
Hi all,

I have this requirement where we need to differentiate between manual entry and entry captured through a scanner. To be more precise , when a user makes a manual entry in a field for eg he enters a 10 digit no i need to keep a log of it. If the same field is updated with the help of scanning a barcode then i do not need to update the log.

But is there any way through navision, where the system tells me if this entry is manual or captured through the scanner.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    As far as I know a scanner entry is the same as keyboard entering. Maybe you could capture the scanner input by an automation server. Set the field to not editable and let the user tick another field if he wants to enter the No. manually.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • sri.tech23sri.tech23 Member Posts: 41
    The main issue is we do not want the user to know that we will be tracking his entry. We need to check only the type of entry.
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    Yes, you could also set the flag in background if you capture the scanner input by an automation server. But I think it's a time-consuming process to create such a solution. It's not just set a property or something like that, it has to be developed.
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    You need to think in business terms that if you need to trick and deceive your employees to get them to work properly, maybe its better to get rid of them and get new people. If you use the excuse "We can't get good people" then management need to take a good look in a mirror and see where the root cause of the problem is.
    David Singleton
    david, i do agree with you on the people are right or not debate, but here as a developer , i need to provide the solution for my client. So i'll just have to try my best to deliver a solution, if ANY.

thanks
    dear einsTeIn.NET, can you please help if u have used any automation server to do the task, if i do get the type of entry then my job is done. rest of it can be taken care of by setting the flag. but the IMP thing is to get the input type. kindly help me if you have used any such automation...or know of.

thanks
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    sri.tech23 wrote:
    dear einsTeIn.NET, can you please help if u have used any automation server to do the task, if i do get the type of entry then my job is done. rest of it can be taken care of by setting the flag. but the IMP thing is to get the input type. kindly help me if you have used any such automation...or know of.

thanks

All the scanners I have worked with have been programmable and you can have the precede or append a character to the text stream. Just have a "#" added to the end, strip it off on entry and store it in a flag.

I really don't like these solutions though.
    David Singleton